Sunday, October 12, 2014

Upcoming Project

Good morning Folks ~ Well, it’s morning here in s.e. FL, just starting to get light out.

The other night I dreamed about painting my little cottage again, because it is on my mind. We painted it in 2004-2005, paint is peeling and fading and it needs to be done again. I’ve had two estimates one high and the other a decent price for me to afford, with a good recommendation.  I will be helping too, by painting the grooves in the siding, for one thing, plus moving plants, etc. away from the cottage. I’ve painted before although not in a long time.

I know the colors won’t be the same on everyone’s monitors, but we’ll give it a shot to see which color gets the most picks. One for the house color, and one for the door color. Trim will stay white. I already have the two colors I really like in mind, I just wanted to see what you all would say.

Here are some pics of the workshop and cottage after freshly painted. The color looked different depending on the time of day. You can see by the photos that the paint definitely looks different depending on where the sun is in the sky.

The next few photos are from 2004-2005

Workshop south wall.

mngard4_18oct

Cottage east side.

kitporch_apr

Cottage Front

eastfront_jun

Cottage Back – north

houseback2_22sept

Here are my choices for Behr Premium House colors:

Smoked Mulberry

behr-smoked-mulberry

Plum Swirl

behr-ultra-plus-plum-swirlJPG

Exotic Orchid

exotic-orchid

Zinfadel

behr-ultra-plus-zinfadel

Here are my choices for the doors.

Cheerful

bp-cheerful-hue

Joyous

bp-joyous

Straw Hat

bp-straw-hat

Sweet as Honey

bp-sweet-as-honey

***

Okay.

Which colors do you think I chose?

Which colors do you choose?

The color does not have to match the color the house is now, but out of all the plumy colors on HD’s website, these are the ones I chose to finally pick from.

This is exciting! It will be work and I hope I am up for it. (My right arm and hand bother me a lot, broken arm from car accident in 2000). Don’t know when this project will happen.  Waiting for the weather to cool down and no rain in the forecast.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

21 comments:

Connie in Hartwood said...

I'll play. I think Smoked Mulberry with Straw Hat looks best to me on my monitor. Your purple house looks so happy.

lil red hen said...

How exciting!! I had no idea your blog was named for a real plum colored cottage. Of course the final choice will be yours, but I prefer the lighter colors of Plum Swirl and Joyous. Wish I had the courage to paint, even a bedroom. :)

Rebecca said...

Well, me? I like them all but would probably choose the smoked mulberry. I wish I could get the door colors closer to the house color samples, It's hard to select that far apart, but I might go straw hat. Not sure.

At any rate, I KNOW you're going to create a very unique, warm, and welcoming cottage look.

gld said...

Lorraine, I hate choosing.....but here goes:

1. Smoked Mulberry with Sweet as Honey.

Bare in mind, I am sort of ultra conservative with house colors...I have a white house with white trim!

Hope your arm is feeling better.

Jean Campbell said...

My favorites are Plum Swirl and Sweet as Honey because I lean toward lighter colors for paint.

Smoked Mulberry would tend to recede into the shadows if that's the look you prefer. In that case Straw Hat would be a stronger color. It will be lovely, a plummy color with a yellow door.

Balisha said...

You would laugh at me if you could see me. Minimizing my screen so I can see all of them together. Going back and forth...seeing it now. You'd think it was for my house.

Well, here goes.....I think I would select the plum swirl and cheerful. Paint always looks darker after it dries. The plum swirl is the lightest one. If you go with a darker color....maybe the Zinfandel. I really like all of them. Anxious to see what you choose. This was fun...Balisha

jerilanders said...

It is so difficult to chose from all the wonderful paints available now.If it were my cottage, I would chose 3 colors. For the largest areas, I would use Smoked Mulberry. For the trim, Sweet as Honey on the outside of the window frames. I would use Plum Swirl as an additional trim color but without seeing all the little nooks and crannies, I'm not sure where I'd use it aside from inside the window frames.

Sallysmom said...

The yellow will be a tricky color. Have you thought about purchasing samples of the ones you love to see how they look? You could do it on cardboard or right on the house. But doing it on the house when you already have it painted might not work out. Anyway, just an idea. Whatever you chose I am sure will be great. As for me picking one, I'm not good at that. We just pained our living room and I had about 11 sample colors on it for 3 months. Finally, just went with something really neutral.

Nancy J said...

Smoked Mulberry with Sweet as honey, I saved the paint samples in my "pictures" so they were next to each other. Can you have a sample pot, and try out? this is a huge project, and one for the cooler days. No matter what colours, Plum Cottage will still be beautiful, and your blessed haven each day. Hugs, Jean.

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, great that you want to paint the cottage. It is a big job and it requires braveness to tackle it even though you don't do it alone.
My color favorites are Smoked Mulberry and Joyous. Now I am of course curious to know, which ones you have chosen.
Wishing you a good start into the new week!
Christina

Betty said...

I think Smoke Mulberry and Joyous also. Be careful when you start the painting, don't want you getting hurt.

Betty said...

I think smoked mulberry and joyous too. Be careful when you start painting. Do not want to see you getting hurt.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like Zinfedel and Sweet as Honey. Now I'll go back and see how that compared with everyone else.
xx, Carol

Anonymous said...

I like all of your color choices.I just love your cottage!

Tracy said...

Sweet as Honey and Zinfadel, I think! Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be lovely! :)

Kit said...

I love the Zifindel and the joyeous. The colors are awesome and they also remind me that you and your DH loved having wine and it is full of joy that you are continuing on. :( Kit

Thistle Cove Farm said...

They're all beautiful; which did you choose?

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I like plum swirl and exotic orchid. Both with Joyous doors. Joyous just look like it has light.

Enjoy the process of the new paint!

sweetbay said...

You may have chosen already but I'd pick Exotic orchid with Joyous.

Julie said...

I can't pick! I like Exotic Orchid, but the yellows I love them all!

M.K. said...

Love the colors! Of the ones you posted, I tend to like the rich, dark tones best, so I'd choose the first one in each category. But you know what I REALLY love? I love the look of the wood in that one photo, when the workmen were stripping the cottage, and the raw wood was showing. Sigh. I'm a back-to-nature girl!