Friday, May 25, 2018

Blooms, rain & more rain

Well friends, we needed rain down here in s.e. FL and we’ve certainly gotten it last week, every day with some this week although not as much & more is expected over this weekend. At least I’m not having to pay for water to water gardens and containers. God is watering everything for ‘free’. There was a break in the weather on Monday so I was able to get out to mow. Glad to have that job done.

I hope you are all doing well. It’s hard to believe the month of May is almost gone. The older I get, the faster time seems to zip along.

Here are some photos taken in the last month. I’ve not posted in a month so there are quite a few to share with you.

Vanda orchid ‘Miss Joachim’

04-26-miss-jo

04-28-miss-jo

‘Blue Lips’

04-29-blue-lips

04-29-blue-lips2

What a wonderful surprise I had the other day as I was standing near this plant. A sweet scent was filling the air and I said to myself, ‘What is that?’ These blue flowers were right beside me so I bent over and sniffed. WOW! I’ve had this plant for a year now and didn’t realize until now with all of the blooms that it has this lovely scent.

04-29-blue-lips3

‘Bahinia’ scented white orchid tree. I have this in a pot.  Grew it from seed. Have had it many years now.

05-07-dwarf-bahinia

05-07-dwarf-bahinia2

‘Thunbergia’

05-07-thunbergia

05-07-tibouchina

I don’t know what this is. Got it for free from a small, private nursery 2-3 years ago. This spreads by seeds and I love it.

05-01-unkn

‘Garlic Vine’

05-17-garlic-vine

‘Blue Pea’ vine

05-21-blue-pea-vine

‘Hugs-n-kisses’ hibiscus, flowers on the same shrub. I bought this a couple of months after my dear husband left this planet to be with the Great Creator.

05-17-hugs-n-kisses

05-21-hugs-n-kisses

These next photos are of a brugmansia bloom over 2-3 days.

05-21-brug

05-22-brug

05-22-brug2

05-22-brug3

I don’t know what this rose is, have had it for years.

05-17-back-rose-bush

05-17-back-roses2

05-17-back-roses

05-17-back-roses3

‘Louis Philippe’

05-17-louis-philippe

‘Maman Cochet’ climbing rose

05-17-maman-cochet

‘Carpet Rose’

05-21-carpet-rose

NOID when I bought this, has a wonderful scent and a lovely color.

05-21-lav-rose

05-21-lav-rose2

A miniature rose bought at Walmart.

05-21-mini-roses

‘Carnation Rose’ next two photos.

05-21-carnation-rose

05-22-carnation-rose

‘Zebra Longwing’ on ‘hamelia paten’ blooms and on ‘spinach tree’ blooms.

05-07-zebra-longwing

05-17-zebrajpg

This palm tree, a Royal Palm, sheds its’ fronds on a regularly basis. I called around, emailed tree removal places also, and only one person got back in touch with me, and his quote was $800. I’ll just deal with it, as it’s not something I can afford at this time. 

04-15-palm-tree

This happened Monday morning. The fronds hitting the metal awning ALWAYS FREAKS me out. I got out my tree saw and cut it up to manageable sizes to be picked up.

05-21-palm-frond

These next photos are of the little caravan outside and inside, an old pick-up camper that had had a pop up roof so that you could stand up in it. We saved the  camper body (sold the little old truck to business who buys junk cars) and built it up to what it is now. It was a work in progress when DH became ill and then God took him home, so it’s been a sad little neglected space.

Caravan front.

03-19-pntd

Some part from an old pot-metal light fixture that I painted .

04-04-metalwork2

Photo taken a few minutes ago, it was lightly sprinkling. I hang up my laundry on my compact ‘solar dryer’ Winking smile, that is to the left of caravan. Oh yea, there is electricity in the caravan and a little a.c. unit, which I turn on when I’m going to be in there for a bit.

05-25-rainy-day

I recently bought an ‘Inspire’ journal Bible and a set of colored pencils which I’ll do a post on later. The Bible was the inspiration (no pun intended, but it is what it is), to do something happy to this little space. I looked in our ‘stash’ of all kinds of stuff to see if I could find a nice piece to make a  workspace/desktop that would cover the tops of two plastic drawer storage units. Found nothing. Decided to go to HD to see what they might have and after looking around, I finally found on the bottom shelf, really nice finished plywood 17 3/8” by 72”. Perfect. 

I went back to the oops! section in the paint dept. and got a sample can in a light lavender for 50 cents. The plywood was right around $20. I almost used up the sample can of paint, after painting the plywood with three coats.

05-23-caravan-shelf2

I had some lace curtains I’d gotten at a small flea market a few years ago, $1 a panel, I bought all she had, 5 of them. These were hanging at the entrance into my bedroom, now they grace the humble caravan with their feminine beauty.  I am looking forward to using this space for journaling, meditating, praying, creating. It is 6’ x 9’.

05-23-curtains

I had a fold up mattress that folded into a chair or a mattress to sleep on. It is resting on top of a curbside find I found on my way to work many years ago, a cedar hope chest painted yellow. I had the fabric to cover it in my stash, and the two pillow shams I’d bought at a bargain place for $2 each I think years ago and they are gypsyish looking so perfect for the look I’m going for.

As you can see, it is not finished off inside. I’ve been going over and over in my mind how I could finish this off, and am still  mulling it over. My dear husband was the builder, I was his helper.

05-24-bed

Here I am resting, I fit in that space laying down.

05-24-resting

Here’s my view looking out the window.

05-24-view-from-bed

This morning I got out some satiny fabric, black with embroidered roses and gold thread bordering, and this is what I did with it. Tacked it to the 2x4 framing. The green lace curtain was in some stuff DH found curbside a long time ago. (How I miss his coming home from juants, with ‘free’ goodies. Through the years, we’ve found some wonderful things curbside, some we sold and some we kept.)

I will post more pics as I go along with this project. It’s on a frugal budget.

05-25-back-wall

05-25-back-wall2

Below, my sweet ‘Miss Tork’ taken yesterday morning.

(Footboard and headboard, this is footboard in photo, found ‘roadside’ dumped in a pile in Spain, DH was stationed in Spain while in the US Navy. We loaded the two pieces onto the top of our car, drove around the base to get to our apt. as we did not have permission to bring this through the base. Then we loaded it into our apt. and got back on the road again as we had just started out on a vacation when we found these. They are made from beech wood, I stained them dark on our apt. balcony, this was early 70’s. Later, the property owner had painted a huge sign saying “No ponga la basura”. = don’t put your garbage. We got a kick out of that.)

05-24-miss-tork

Ok, I’ve probably overloaded you with photos, so I’ll quit for now.

For those in the US, have a great long Memorial Day weekend. May everyone else also have a wonderful weekend wherever you are.

Count your blessings,

thank God

&

Love others,

FlowerLady

35 comments:

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

You are quite the creative lady, miss Lorraine! I love seeing the inside of your sweet caravan - I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with it! Have a happy holiday weekend!!

crafty cat corner said...

I've had a bluesy kind of day today and reading your post has really cheered me up, really..
Is this little caravan the same one with the wonderful floor that your husband laid?
I would love to have a van like that to hide in when I needed to be alone and quiet,perfect.
Briony
x

Ruth Hiebert said...

What a wonderful and light post! The caravan should be a great place to ponder,pray and meditate. Are you on FaceBook? I am considering dropping my blog and just doing Facebook but I don’t want to lose contact with friends like you.

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful, beautiful post, Lorraine. Wow- those flowers are gorgeous and that Blue Lips scented one is really kind of unusual looking.

I love your sweet little spot and it is nice to see you sitting with your feet up. Glad you sold your little old truck!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. It was fun to see a post from you-xo Diana

Kit said...

Oh my dear Flowerlady! You are so creative and have the perfect touch to make so many things lovely. I love your little caravan. Mark would be so pleased that you are completing work on it. And spending time there to relax. Thanks for all the lovely photos. You have a lovely Memorial Day weekend. Love, KK

Dewena said...

First of all, what a beautiful banner picture at the top of your blog!

Your husband may have been the builder, Lorraine, but you are such an accomplished achiever when you go forward with a project you're serious about. That will be a sweet place for prayer and meditation and Miss Tork for company.

I haven't checked the oops section in a while, must do that as I love your lavender.

As usual I have jotted down plants from your garden for my wish list, now wondering if blue Lips and Maman Cochet will flourish in Nashville.

Love to you and thank you for this trip through your April and May garden,
Dewena

Nancy J said...

Goodies on the footpath, the op shops, or anywhere else, they are a huge bonus in our life too. Your caravan, that is a peaceful and beautiful resting area, Miss Tork, a lovely companion, and your DH would be so proud of all you do. God's rain, a blessing, and the best watering system of all.

M.K. said...

Hi, FL. I enjoyed your post -- so many gorgeous blooms. Down in SE Florida, it seems your flowers and shrubs just really GROW and get so big and exuberant! And I LOVE your little camper/caravan! You've gone a great job, and I think your dear hubby would love that you are going to use it, and appreciate the work he did, and spend time there. Looks very comfy, and the new job you did with the embroidered fabric on the back looks very, very nice. Excellent idea. Blessings on you, friend!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Always love catching up with you, dear Lorraine, and strolling through your amazing garden to see all the magical blooms. I love them all, but was quite taken with the blue pea-vine and the frilly and sentimental hibiscus. Commemorative plantings seem to know how much you love them.....the white rose I planted for my parent's is blooming so beautifully right now. Your little caravan is so darling with all your pretty touches. A lovely place for dreams and sweet memories. Please stay safe with the tropical storm headed your way. Sending hugs and blessings for your weekend. xo Karen

pilar said...

Hello Lorraine,
What a beautiful flower the Bahinia orchid is! The palm tree would spook me, too, but that is pricey the 800 they ask for removal. I love a decor project and the caravan is a sweet and fun place to play with. I covet the painting of the woman in profile ; )
Best wishes!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Reading this post made me smile, Lorraine. I can just feel the pleasure you take in your lovely garden, and that spills over in your writing. The caravan? Love it! And I love that you are out there making it into a personal sanctuary. I think you're really onto something with the fabric on the wall. Why not do more of that? Since you probably don't need insulation living where you do, you can just staple fabric wherever you want it. And the beauty is that Bohemian style is all about color and mixing things up. You go girl! You're inspiring me! Hugs

jerilanders said...

Everything is lovely in the garden; you have so many tropical flowers that i am not familiar with.
The caravan is a perfect little cozy corner for you to dwell in with your thoughts, ideas and prayers..
But my fav photo has to be Miss Tork... she is an elegant lady indeed. Little does she know the story behind the bed she poses on.

Ellen D. said...

You certainly are inspirational - you are productive and busy - creating and seeing the beauty that surrounds you! Thanks for sharing so many lovely flowers and clever ideas! I found this so interesting!

Rebecca said...

As much as I love all the beautiful blooms, I love the photos of the caravan 1,000 times more! Oh, my goodness! What a perfectly charming place you are creating to think, journal, meditate, etc. I'm SO enthused about the results of your efforts. (I think you should rent out the space for those who need some hours away from "life"!) ♥

Keep the caravan photos coming. Please!

Pom Pom said...

I love your gypsy caravan! It's so cozy! Pretty, too!
Lovely flowers!

Anne Payne said...

Your flora and fauna is doing great! Lovely blossoms on the Hibiscus. They are so huge!!! I can'g row those here because it gets too cold in the winter. I absolutely love what you are doing with your camper space. You sure have a creative gene coursing through your veins. I hope you have a restful weekend, my friend. :-)

Junkchiccottage said...

So nice to see your pretty gardens flourishing. We just got back from our vacation in Orlando and we did see some rain last week but from Wednesday on the weather was just gorgeous for our vacation. First few days of the trip last week we had lots of rain in this area too but so happy it cleared out and we were able to soak up some sun and fun. Happy to hear the rain helped with your pretty garden. Happy Memorial weekend.
xoxo
Kris

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine!
I love your caravan! What a perfect spot for meditating, praying, and creating! I look forward to seeing more posts about that precious spot. Your flowers are gorgeous! I too love when God does the watering. ;) We have a well, so I am always grateful for rain to fill it up. There was a precious little chair among your flower pictures. It looks like it might be carved out of a tree trunk. Is it? I also love the photo of your cat. So sweet.
Love,
Terry

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You my dear the the Queen of Recreate. You and my daughter would be a great pair finding things along side the road and turning them into treasures. I always love to see an update on what is going on in your garden. I don't think I remember seeing pics of the Caravan inside before. It's Wonderful! Glad you got some rain. We have gotten too much and now we are sweltering with temps 20 degrees above our normal 75 for this time of the year. But we are happy for each new day.
XX, Carol

Terra said...

You have transformed your caravan into a lovely sanctuary. I have always liked lace curtains and yours are very pretty and airy. That Hugs N Kisses Hibiscus is spectacular. You are creating beauty even in times interspersed with sadness, I know those feelings.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Loved seeing your creative project....what a sweet resting spot. You have so many blooming beauties in this post...glad that you were getting much needed rain though i hope that Alberto that tropical storm has not affected you in a negative way and that all is well :)

Henny Penny said...

Your flowers are simply amazing...and then I got to the little caravan! You have done a great job fixing it up. That pretty little space that you fit into is so cozy and adorable. You have such a neat little hid-away, cozy home. I enjoyed every picture! Love how you fixed it up. Love love love the lace curtains!

Out on the prairie said...

A major post with lots of beauty.
went over a few of your blogs and it looks like this is used most.Hope to see you back at mine, we have a lot in common.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Lorraine. Loved this post. I can see why you are called the FlowerLady. All of your flowers are certainly beautiful and I love the little caravan. What a clever idea and it is looking so romantic and pretty the way you are fixing it. A perfect space for a FlowerLady..Thanks for your kind visit. It is always good to hear from you..Happy Thursday..Judy

outlawgardener said...

You are a master of creating fabulous interiors! Love the gypsy look of your caravan and the stories of the free found objects. Beautiful blooms in your garden as always!

Leslie Kimel said...

So cool what you did with the caravan! I love your romantic, bohemian style. And it's awesome that you made everything without spending very much. Totally inspiring!

Snoodles said...

What a beautiful post....love the flowers, and your creative hideaway, too (I'm jealous!). I'll be stopping in here more often now! Hugs!

GretchenJoanna said...

I do not want to live in Florida - but if I had to, I would comfort me with flowers!! Your photos are so beautiful they make me want to browse the thesaurus to find better words. I'm sure that if I could smell the flowers at the same time I'd be without any words.

Thank you, Dear Lorraine!

Louca por porcelana said...

Wow!Wonderful garden!!!Just stunning!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

It's always a pleasure to stroll your gardens with you and all the beautiful blooms. I loved the blue pea-vine and was my favorite. You are creating such a lovely spot to relax, dream and remember memories. Sending hugs and blessings for your weekend.

Melanie said...

I'm late in catching up with you - sorry about that! Isn't it nice when it rains and you don't have to do all that watering yourself? Your caravan is the perfect spot to have your own little retreat place. I can only imagine how peaceful it is in there...to pray, journal, and take a little rest or nap. I can't believe how huge those palm fronds are! That would be quite scary to have them hitting your roof or falling. Glad it didn't fall on your house.

Pam said...

Oh NO you did not overload. I enjoyed it so much. I have been thinking that I would love to get something like your camper to put in the back yard to use as my crafting and creating area. I love what you did. Whatever I do would require heat and air to be attached to it since I live in TN. I have looked over my shed several times and thought I might just put walls up, run for electric and fix that up but I outdoor yard equipment out there and I can't afford to lose that space....but I love what you did...and by the way PURPLE is my fave color!

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

Well boo. I could spend hours walking through your gardens and just enjoying them. I'm trying to continue adding more varieties to our farm. I'm really wanting to add plants with fragrance. I love the variegated Iris. Wowzer.

firefly819 said...

God walks hand in hand with gardeners. He marks them in a very special way so that they are easily recognized by other fellow gardeners.
God gives true gardeners a green thumb. You are truly blessed with the ability to nurture such a thriving garden and make such lovely flowers bloom with grace.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

The caravan is AAAdorable! Everyone should have a place to escape to and close the world out.