Sunday, October 22, 2017

Life continues

Hello Folks ~ Wow, it’s been two weeks since my last post. I’m not posting like I used to and I thank those who have checked up on me. I’m still cleaning up my property a little at a time. The other morning there was some cooler weather and I was able to work outside for almost 3 hours, but, there is still much to do. I’ve piles of brush here and there to rake and bag up. The huge pile out front from hurricane Irma was finally picked up this week. They did leave the bags of debris though as they don’t want the plastic bags ground up into the mulch the brush piles will make. I drove pass a huge piece of property where the trucks are dumping the brush and it is amazing how much there is and it is still being picked up around the county.

I’ve weedwacking and trimming to do, was able to mow again the other day. One thing about FL is that the growing season this far south is 365 days a year, and with the rain we’ve been getting lately, things are growing like crazy. It is so overwhelming to me at times, I just want to go somewhere and hide. That doesn’t solve anything though, so I thank God for His many blessings, for the strength He gives me and for working things out.

I had an unplanned expense, a whole new brake job, ball joints, new fuel injection, back door lock mechanisms so I can now open the doors and some other things on my van. It all needed doing. The brakes were metal on metal, and the ball joints had wiggle room. The van is 16 years old, and only has a little over 42,000 miles on it. My mechanic and his mechanic friend said my engine sounds great and with the work they did on my van it will be good for more years and miles. Although, the next expense on the van is a new fuel pump. I need to build up my bank account before that expense. I am grateful that my mechanic only charged me his cost on the parts, plus his labor. My BIL said I was given a great deal on the whole cost of the job. I baked peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies as a thank you for  them for their hard and honest work for this widowed FlowerLady.

I’ve seen a hummingbird twice, once from the ‘scullery’ as I was looking out into the ‘secret garden’, and then the other morning as I was sitting here in my chair. Some movement caught my eye and there was a hummer flitting from one red flower to another. What a treat! Don’t blink, because they are there one minute and gone the next. No time to get the camera.

Now for some photos.

Weedy and overgrown secret garden.

10-21-secret-garden

10-21-secret-garden2

10-21-secret-garden3

St. Francis garden, where’s the path?

10-21-st-francis

I did pick my 4 key limes from my little potted bush as they were ready and were enjoyed in water and in a margarita. Winking smile I still have 3 lemons to pick from my Meyer lemon bush. Next year I hope to have more fruit as they will be bigger plants. I love key limes.

10-12-key-limes

Barnhouse rose.

10-21-barnhouse

‘Kathleen’

10-21-kathleen

‘Miss Atwood’

10-21-miss-atwood

10-21-miss-atwood2

Unknown

10-21-unkn

‘Mozart’

10-21-mozart

Unknown

10-21-unkn2

‘Winecup’

10-21-winecup

‘Ground orchid’

10-21-grnd-orchid

‘Miss Tork’ without a care.

10-13-miss-tork

I received a beautiful book the other day, one for me to write a review for. I’d been looking forward to it and was NOT disappointed. I cried reading the preface. I am enjoying it immensely.

Packaging

Ok, that’s it for now. I’m still working on getting rid of books, etc. did give away a bookcase to a young family. B-I-L Todd and I will be working on the living room, patching walls, painting, setting up new/used bookcases and tv stand. It may be another two weeks or so before I post again as I’ve work to do inside and out.

Before I forget, someone asked about the hybrid ‘kiss’ hibsicus. Yes, they are finicky in my opinion. Mine is still hanging in, but I do need to fertilize it as it has not looked as good as it did when I first got it. I love the blooms so will do some ‘babying’ of it and hopefully will be blessed with more of those fantastic blooms. Mine is called ‘Hugs & Kisses’.

05-06-hugs-n-kisses

Thank you all for your kind words, your encouragement and your prayers, all are much appreciated.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

26 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh my I am glad to hear that out of ALL of this you got to have some homemade organic Margarita :)

Sounds like the mechanic was heaven-sent in regards to the charges! :)

I know that you still have so much work to do but I am so thankful that you and your home survived / many of us were very worried about you and praying for you.

NanaDiana said...

Lorraine, It was wonderful to read this post from you and know that you are getting things done and doing okay.

I am so thrilled you have an honest mechanic. We do, too, but there are some that overcharge and will do work that is not always needed. I am glad you found someone that treats you right.

Your gardens are as lush and beautiful as they always are. That last flower is just gorgeous---worth babying along.

Take good care and don't overdo. xo Diana

Debby Goes Shabby said...

Beautiful!

Debby
Debbygoesshabby.blogspot.com

M.K. said...

Hello, dear friend! I'm glad to see you here again. Your roses are gorgeous as ever, and I'm glad they did not seem to suffer from the storm. I look at how much everything grows there, and I am exhausted just thinking of your trying to keep ahead of it all -- 365 days a year! Here, our grass has slowed way down, and will probably only need one more mowing. Phew - it's a relief. Our highs are now under 80 degrees, which is also a relief.
Take it easy, and we will look forward to hearing from you again when life has slowed back to normal a bit, and you can put your feet up.

Nancy J said...

"Hugs and Kisses" right back to you. Please take each day slowly, even down here, with spring growth, and warmer days, the weeds are overwhelmingly everywhere. Next year's firewood has had FIRST place for weeks, friends have cut, one splits, Hugh sits and works the splitter handle, and for the next three weeks will rest after his last cataract surgery tomorrow. Miss Tork, the darling of all, and after Irma, good news that the felines are all safe and well in your home. Love from NZ.XXX

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my friend,I can't even begin to think about all the work you have to maintain your yard. I know that it would be totally overwhelming to me. Your flowers look so lovely and must add a lot of beauty to your home.

Kit said...

Hi my dear friend! Wow, look at all that greenery! I am always amazed at how much grows in Florida. It makes me glad I get a break for 8 months. :) Right now, everything is done except the mulching of the leaves. You take care, and take one step at a time. Love, KK

KathyB. said...

I think I'd feel overwhelmed too if my garden grew 365 days a year and was growing gangbusters now after the storms and rains. I can't imagine how much clean-up the whole state must need . I am glad you're getting things accomplished and it must be a relief to have your van in good running order.

There is something so soothing and comforting about having a cat near-by resting and purring.

A usual your flowers are so beautiful, one of the many BLESSINGS of having a garden growing 365 days a year !:)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, I think of you often and just pray that things are getting better after that storm... Your flowers are GORGEOUS.....

Sorry about the van repairs --but it sound like you have a great vehicle. Thanks be to God that your mechanic is trustworthy and didn't take advantage of you...

I will continue to pray for you and your situation... Keep in touch when you can.

God's Blessings.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cheryl said...

Nice to hear from you with an update. I am sure that there is lots of work to be done, but you are doing the wise thing by simply "doing the next thing." Work done in bits is still work done!

Love Miss Tork!

Rebecca said...

Wow! You DO have a "mountain" to move! But the rewards are those beautiful flowers...

I haven't read "Hinds Feet" in a long, long while. I'm curious about the "visual journey" part of this book...The story itself, I love.

I'm thankful with you for the kindness of your mechanic and pray that soon you will be able to get that fuel pump fixed. (We drive old cars and ours have well over 160,000 miles on them. The occasional repair/maintenance costs are FAR below the price of new ones. This is what we tell ourselves and what IS true.)

Well, I have a full day today after a day of pleasure. We used a generous gift to purchase a great dinner buffet that required a drive through the rain and beautiful countryside. We extended the day to include a couple of thrift stores and finding comfortable places to read. The only thing missing was sunshine and a walk.

So glad you took the time to update us ♥

Connie in Hartwood said...

I completely understand about having an extended time between posts. Sometimes life is such that we are doing things instead of writing about things. It's a lot like that here right now.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Lovely flowers!

Sometimes I like the feelings of secrets in overgrown gardens. Yours looks lovely just the way it is.

Blessings~

A Joyful Cottage said...

Hinds Feet on High Places is one of my favorite book, Rainey. Enjoy it to the fullest! Your garden is gorgeous, as always. My garden is quite fallish now. A whole different look. Hugs.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I've been having a hard time getting a post up more than once per week, Lorraine, so I completely understand! Your garden is so lush and green, ours is pretty much done for the season. We had very heavy rains and high winds yesterday that took most of the remaining leaves off the trees, and flattened what few flowers remained in the gardens. Another season comes to a close, and a new one begins!

Melanie said...

Lorraine,
Thanks for taking time to read my blog and comment! I see you are getting work done in your garden and it is so beautiful! We have some beautiful Fall color in our backyard and things do not look so tropical as your yard. I hope you continue to have the strength and energy each day to do what you love to do! take care, Melanie

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh those roses are beautiful! All that rain and sunshine sure make a lot of work for you though. You must feel like you're bushwhacking through a forest. I just told my husband that my blog friend in Florida is trimming and weeding and clearing up debris again!
Glad you got a good deal on your work on your car. I'm sure they really appreciated the homemade cookies.
Hope you can find time to rest a little. xo Deborah

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I enjoyed seeing all the gorgeous pictures of your flowers, but I can imagine keeping up with them all to be quite overwhelming! That was a lot of work done to your vehicle, hoping it gives you many more good miles now! Glad that you were able to deal with the mess Irma left without too much trouble, was truly a terrible disaster she left behind! Praying that you have fun with the work in your living room, and get all things done that you hope to :) Hugs!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Glad that you are moving forward from this devastating hurricane, Lorraine. It must seem absolutely overwhelming, I'm sure. There is only so much one little gal can do in a day, so be kind to yourself. I'm glad to see that you are giving yourself some little rewards. So nice to hear that your mechanics are treating you kindly - I'm sure they loved the cookies. Home baking is a rare thing these days. Your flowers and roses are always such a treat for us to see. The orchid and hibiscus are especially beautiful. No wonder the hummingbirds love to visit. Sending hugs and blessings for your week. xo Karen

outlawgardener said...

Sometimes I envy your climate but other times I'm grateful for a bit of a rest from gardening that our winter brings. Sounds like you've been very busy cleaning up after Irma. Thank goodness that your van will last for years to come! Such pretty flowers!

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

thinking of you
God Bless you
Ernestine by the woods

sweetbay said...

Your roses are lovely! The best you can do with the garden and yard work is doing a little bit at a time. I know it must be hard to keep up with the garden with the lack of cold and all of the rain you've gotten. (((Hugs)))

Melanie said...

I can't imagine keeping up with all that yard work. Would it be possible - or would you even want to - sell your home and move into a small townhome where they take care of all the yard work?

Good to hear you have such a nice, honest mechanic.I know car repairs are still so expensive though.

Hope you have a good week!

GretchenJoanna said...

I thank God He is giving you grace and strength for each day -- and I thank YOU for giving us your beautiful flowers via photos! You are in my prayers.

L. D. said...

Not only have you and your cat survived, your flowers have come back. It is good to see them and really like your great variety of them.

Anne Payne said...

Oh wow! That's a lot of growing with all the rain down there. I hope you are taking it slow and easy and hydrating. :) My BIL does all the yard work at their home in Stuart and it can easily get out of hand. Of course, our yard here in VA needs mowing twice a week in the growing season, and it is still in need now! I was sure it would be done by now but nooooo.

I'm playing catch up around the blogosphere. Been too busy recovering. You would think I would have felt like blog hopping but nope. Just sleep and heal. Thinking of you and remembering you in prayer, my friend! {{hugs}}