Saturday, October 7, 2017

Glorious Sunshine

Good Saturday morning Friends ~ I’m just in from hanging out the first load of wash in a couple of weeks. We’ve had rain off and on since Irma and gray days since Monday of this week. Yesterday morning’s visible sunrise was wonderful!! This morning it is partly cloudy and breezy and also very ‘humid’. Right now at 9:01 a.m. EST, it is 82 but feels like it is 92, the humidity at 90%. My clothes were very wet when I came in. I was thinking about doing some ‘trimming’ but changed my mind, it’s just to miserable out there for me.

I was able to mow the high grass the other day and do a little trimming. Still a LOT of trimming to do, all in good time. I am thankful I have my little cottage and gardens to take care of, so many in the world have so much less.

I woke up in such a positive mood yesterday morning. The night before, I had started re-reading “The Undistracted Widow – Living For God After Losing Your Husband” by Carol W. Cornish. I bought this book through Amazon in Jan. 2013, a month after my dear husband left this planet to be with God. There are lots of ‘jewels’ to encourage the widow. Lots of underlinings in the book, as I underline bits and pieces that really speak to my heart.

Here’s what spoke to me about ‘contentment’, something I am learning daily. * “Being content results from being satisfied with what God gives us, when and where He gives it, and why and how He gives it. Biblical contentment is an attitude of mind that displays complete confidence in God’s total care in the midst of distressing, even devastating, circumstances.  It evidences willing and genuine trust in God and His love and wisdom.” *

Another book I’ve re-read some of is “The Widow Directed to the Widow’s God” by John Angell James. I got this from Amazon in February 2013. This book is wonderful, written in 1841.

* “Let thy widows trust in me.” You have no other trust, and none are so much encouraged to trust in God, as they whose sole confidence, the Lord is. Then above all times, is the time to look up with hope to God, when we have no other to look up to. ~ The Lord is my helper. Be content with such things as ye have, then for He hath said, “I will never leave thee, nor foraske thee.” *

I highly recommend these books to widows or even to those of you who wish to help and comfort them.

I was overjoyed with seeing sunlight flooding into the living room yesterday morning.

10-06-morning-sunshine3

I grabbed my camera and went out to see what I could capture of this sunlight.

10-06-morning-sunshine

10-06-morning-sunshine

10-06-morning-sunshine2

Two little songs from when I was a child came to mind.

The first is this one. Complete lyrics can be found here.

Sunlight, sunlight in my soul today,
Sunlight, sunlight all along the way;
Since the Savior found me, took away my sin,
I have had the sunlight of His love within.

The next song was:

There is sunshine in my soul today,
More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my light.

~~~~~

This hamelia paten shrub which butterflies and hummers love, is one of the things I need to trim back. This is in the ‘secret garden’.

10-06-hamelia-paten

This is hamelia paten blooms with the blooms of Port St. John’s vine. With all of the rain we’ve been getting, things are growing like crazy.

10-06-hamelia-paten-pt-st-john-vine

I have been feeling like creating and after hearing from one of my new girlfriend’s from church, I created this for her. She loves sunflowers. This little heart is 4 inches by 4 inches.

10-06-beaded-sunflowers

Now people are preparing for hurricane Nate. I am praying for those already effected by this storm and those in the US in her path.

It is almost a month since Irma was here. I went grocery shopping yesterday morning and apologies were posted for supplies still not in, and asking for patience and thanking patrons for shopping with them.

I have much to be thankful for. Birds have been singing so much, this morning croaking frogs were doing their thing. Flowers are blooming and scenting the air. I have food to eat, clean water, a comfy bed, my sweet Miss Tork, family and friends.

Speaking of friends, Johnnie came over last Saturday afternoon and cleaned my gutters for me. Yay, Johnnie. He is going to get my leaning fencing standing straight again too. I’m waiting for cooler and drier weather.

Each day, we are all blessed with the gift of life.

I will close with a verse ~ Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.
They are plans for good and not for evil,
to give you a future and a hope.

Have a wonderful weekend, and a fantastic autumn here in the US. For those around the world may you also have a great weekend and upcoming week. I’ve enjoyed seeing blogs with fall decorations indoors and out and the start to the changing of the colors of leaves up north. Thanks for sharing.

FlowerLady

26 comments:

lil red hen said...

I enjoy reading your words so much! It's wonderful to read words from someone who loves and trusts the Lord our God. We all do have so much to be thankful for.

Rebecca said...

Feeling the "sunshine" of your heart via your words and photos today, Lorraine!
The quote re. contentment works in all our situations, doesn't it?
And the sunshine choruses are familiar to me, too! And how about "Heavenly sunshine, heavenly sunshine, flooding my soul with glory divine"?

Nancy J said...

Being thankful, at whatever moment your life is at, is so right. We have so much down here, and when I read of yet another hurricane coming, wonder how people are coping. Your garden flowers are beautiful, and the glass windows, inside, then from the outside, colour and pattern is lovely. We have had rain for some days, I am hoping for a dry summer.

Terra said...

Thanks to your suggestion I bought the Undistracted Widow and am finding it very helpful. I am glad you are enjoying some sun.

NanaDiana said...

Lorraine, What a beautiful, insightful post. Life can change in a moment's notice and it is sometimes hard to find joy and/or contentment in what we have left. I am glad you found some comfort in both those books.

I hope you have a blessed Sunday and I am glad the sun is shining for you...but sorry about the heat and humidity. xo Diana

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I just love your post, your constant witness in regards to the faithfulness of God in your life :

Ruth Hiebert said...

I can sense a peace in your heart. God gives us just what we need, when we need it. All that lush growth looks so good. Around here things are winding down.Many trees are already bare and others sport colourful leaves.I love the change of seasons.

M.K. said...

It's so good to read about your sunshine -- both outdoors and inside of you :) I LOVE that quote for widows (and all of us too) about contentment -- not only WHAT God gives us, but when and where He gives it, and why and how also. Those are so often the tricky, hard parts. We are discontented because we don't have it NOW, or SOON. We cannot trust God to give it to us at His right time, because we like our time better. We all need to hear that!

Glad for all the help you've had, for the flowers and the stained glass, and the joy.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

God has a plan for our good and His glory. All will be well.
Rainey, so glad to see the beautiful photos and to hear the books have been a blessing to you. Have a lovely week, be safe. love and prayers, Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Your words so peaceful
and God's word
I know
but so good to read them from you.
A blessing all you do
and now 3 years that I miss my gardening, staying outside
and walking in the woods...

Melanie said...

Glad to hear you have some sunshine now, though I can only imagine how terribly humid it is. I just read your previous post too, and wow, what an answer to prayer that was that the woman came along as you were working and offered for her son to help you! Amazing story. Thank you for sharing.

Junkchiccottage said...

Great post Lorraine. Glad these books are so inspirational and help you to move forward through grief and live your life. Sorry you are having so much heat and humidity. Loved every pictures of your capture of light. So beautiful.
Happy New Week.
Kris

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sunshine is just marvelous after a big storm. Sounds like things are getting back to normal for you all now...

We got a lot of the rain/winds from NATE yesterday.. BUT--since we needed the rain, we weren't complaining...

I have a good blog post today about our visit to a Slot Canyon in Arizona recently... You would enjoy seeing the pictures I think..
Hugs,
Betsy

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

So thankful that sweet sunshine has blessed your heart with its warmth! Being alone is a difficult battle to walk and your honesty about it, makes me want to hug my husband a little closer. I pray the Lord continues to strengthen and encourage your heart in this journey! Glad that you had some help with exterior work on your home, as I know that means so much. Praying the Lord continues to bless and encourage your heart! Big hugs :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

So glad to hear an update as to how you are doing : )

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, glad things have settled down after the hurricane. What a shame it all is. We are having our share of fires right now. We feel like our little cottage is surrounded by fires. They are really close but are being kept in good check so far. Thank heavens the high winds have stopped, but the smoke is thicker than I have ever seen it in recent years. The damage around the world has been horrendous this year..Stay safe..Judy

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hello, Dear Lorraine, love your sunny thoughts today and your beautiful photos of your stained glass, sunbeams and flowers. I love the thoughts on 'contentment' and I so agree. I used to suffer from depression due to my difficult childhood, but I started reading books on positive thinking and feeling content with what God has given us and it started me on a complete shift in my focus. Books are such a blessing and seem to 'appear' when we need them the most. So glad you are getting help from your kind friends, too. Your little beaded heart is so sweet and I'm sure it was so appreciated. Sending hugs xo Karen

Debbie Harris said...

Your spirit is sweet, such a glory to God.
I was never one for humidity. Growing up in a dry climate then moving to Canada where there is humidity was quite a shock. I don't miss it at all.
Your gardens are living proof though of what humid weather can grow.
Your heart for your friend is lovely.
Bless you~

Kit said...

Hello my friend! Keep hanging on. Remember this is your new normal, and you can do this. I hope the weather gets cooler for you soon. Love, KK

outlawgardener said...

We had a beautiful and sunny weekend here too although our temperatures were significantly lower than yours. Both the weather and your post warmed my heart today. Your stained glass windows are lovely as are your pretty flowers. Forecasters are predicting windy and rainy weather to arrive tonight and bring up to four inches of rain. I'm reminded of one of my mother's favorite songs that I used to sing a lot:
Little flowers never worry
When the wind begins to blow.
And they never, never cry
When the rain begins to fall.
Oh, it's wet and oh so cold,
Soon the sun will shine again.
Then they'll smile unto the world,
For their beauty to behold.
When the clouds begin to gather
And the wind begins to blow,
Little flowers don't complain,
Though they're tossing to and fro.
Oh, I guess they've learned the secret,
They don't fret because they know,
If it never, never rained,
Then they'd never, never grow.
So, let it rain, let it rain, let it pour,
Little trouble keep on knocking at my door,
If we'll learn the right from wrong,
It will help to make us strong.
Lord, please help us learn the secret,
Even little flowers know,
If it never, never rains
Then we'll never, never grow.

KathyB. said...

This post left me smiling and uplifted, thank-you !

The books you recommended sound to me to be very good reading for everyone , and would benefit us to read and remind us all we truly need God in all aspects of our lives.Also, it sounds like they would be very good books to give us perspective on what really matters.

I prayed for you during the storms as I watched the devastation on my news channel and am so thankful you're doing well. Praise God for all His blessings and His Son !

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

It is a beautiful and insightful post...I have such a hard time with humidity it just drains me of all energy and makes my sinuses very mad. I happy for you that things have settled down and we need to be thankful for every moment since things can change before we know it!

Rue said...

You sound so happy my friend and that just thrills me. I'm so glad you're getting comfort, whether it be from God, family, friends or books. You deserve to have joy in your life.

love to you,
rue

Rebecca said...

OK......I'm needing my FlowerLady "fix"! Hope you're dong OK. Miss your posts. ♥

The Wykeham Observer said...

I am a regular reader but not a poster. I hope you can post something soon, just to let us know things are ok. Keep up all the garden posts if you are able. Maybe if it ever cools down way down there, you will feel more up to it. Here it is supposed to cool down in the coming week and possibly some snow flurries next Friday. Take care. Phil, Eagle Bend MN

Darcie said...

I marvel when I read God's word that he thought of all the circumstances we would/could face as we traversed this life. Those verses about widows are so comforting, and glad you found comfort also in the books you bought! Hope your October continues to go well!