Monday, February 13, 2017

Valentine’s Day Eve

Hello Friends ~ I hope you all had nice weekends and that this week will be a good one.

Saturday I had a nice lunch out and visiting with my BIL, Todd, while my SIL, Sue, was a judge at a musical competition from 8:30-3:30. We had Greek, oh so yummy. We had gyros with that oh so delicious and garlicky tzatziki sauce. They came with french fries and I also had a Mythos Greek beer.  I ended up bringing most of my gyro home and had it for lunch yesterday. If you’ve never had that tzatziki sauce, you don’t know what you are missing. You can’t stop eating it if you love it, and then you can’t stop breathing it out later.

My dear friends Nanci & John stopped by late yesterday afternoon on their way home from an antique auction they had been to earlier. We had a nice little visit sitting on the back stoop of the back shed. John handed me a card from them and said, “This is from the Valentine’s Bunny”. That cracked me up. He’s such a character and I love them both. I used to see them every day I worked, for 17 years, but that all changed when I lost my job now almost three years ago. It was really good to see them again.  Please keep Nanci in your prayers. She’s having health issues and should get some more info this week I think.

This morning I woke up not knowing what I was going to do today.  At first I was just going to stay home but I wanted to get out for a bit. I needed to get a few groceries also, and tonight and tomorrow rain is expected. My friends had given me a love $ gift in their card, and I thought of seeing if two nurseries near me might have roses since it is Valentine’s day tomorrow. Well, the thought came to me and I feel it was God’s doing, to stop at HD first, so that’s what I did. Oh my goodness, I left there with a huge smile on my face and joy and thankfulness in my heart.

Several years ago, DH and I had a private, renewing of our wedding vows and I wanted to get a rose bush to commemorate the event. He had wanted white and I wanted red, and what I found was the Grandiflora rose, ‘Love’. It has red on the tops of petals and white on the reverse/back side. That rose was beautiful, it lasted me about 12 years, dying a couple of years after my dear husband had gone to be with Jesus, Dec. 2012. I was ‘bummed’ to say the least. I had not only lost my best friend, I had now lost the rose that commemorated a happy event.

Well, at HD I didn’t even stop to look at other flowers with the intention of buying any, just headed straight to where they had the section with roses. I went around sticking my nose into the roses to see if they had a good scent or not, then, oh my goodness, if I didn’t think I saw ‘Love’ staring me right in the face. I had to read the tag and sure enough that’s what it was. I was GLEEFUL! I think there was only one more in the mixture of red roses. That jumped right into my cart. I had seen a climbing ‘Don Juan’, and had another look and put nose into the blooms and it also jumped into my cart. Then I headed to the cashier, smiling all the way. Isn’t it a beauty? It has a very faint scent, but it’s beauty, the name, ‘Love’, and the reason why I bought it in the first place, makes it worth having.

02-13-love-grandiflora3

02-13-love-grandiflora2

02-13-love-grandiflora

02-13-love-grandiflora4

Below is ‘Don Juan’. The description below is from Jackson and Perkin’s website.

“This is the Rose most often given to spouses or significant others on Valentine's Day or anniversaries! The aptly named 'Don Juan' with its rich red flowers and deep sweet fragrance is the quintessential Rose representing romance.”

Sometime last year I had a dream about a climbing red rose and didn’t find one at the time, now I have one. Big velvety looking, red, very fragrant, old-rose, scented roses.

02-13-don-juan

02-13-don-juan2

With those two roses tucked into the back of my van, I headed to the two nurseries.

At the first one there were not roses to bring home, but I did bring home two 2 gal. pots of red pentas, $5 each. This morning as I was sitting here in my chair, some movement caught my eye from the window. I looked closer and what did I see, but a hummingbird. He was gone before I could get my camera. I have a huge pot of red pentas and another red flowering plant that they love, sitting in view from where I sit. The pentas always attract butterflies.  I also bought 5, 7 gal. black plastic pots, at $3.50 each. They might not be pretty, but they do the trick.

02-13-pentas

Back into my van, and on to the next nursery. I buy my potting soil here at a good price, so wanted 5 bags. I spied a section of roses, so went over to see what they had, once again, sticking my nose into rose blooms. I picked out a ‘Fragrant Cloud’. Oh my, this scent is heavenly.

I only had these two buds this far open to show the colors. More buds on the bush. More photos to come later as they open.

02-13-fragrant-cloud

02-13-fragrant-cloud3

Next, I headed back home, stopping at the grocery on the way. I felt like celebrating and after Todd and I had talked about filet mignon steaks on Sat. I looked to see what they had, and they had one pkg. of a single steak, which hopped right into my cart. I fixed these a couple of times in our marriage in later years, for special occasions as they are pricey. Friends had taken us out to eat a few times and we had these and were hooked on them. They are very easy to fix, I watched a few You Tube videos, and they melt in your mouth.

For desert, a small New York style cheese cake topped with strawberries caught my eye. I already had a piece after lunch today. Delicious!!!

02-13-strawberry-chcake

Even though my dear husband is no longer with me physically, he is in my heart, and my love for him just keeps on growing.

I always loved preparing us special meals and did so our whole 43 years together. Today I bought these items to help celebrate that love we shared, and to celebrate and thank the Great Creator, God, who is LOVE, for the many ways He shows love to us all.

Happy Valentine’s Day

FlowerLady

02-13-love

33 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Awww...Lorraine. This post put a lump in my throat. I know how much you miss your hubby and I do think it was a God-thing that took you right to that rose so you could replace the one you lost.
I do think roses speak the language of love and what a blessing to be able to grow them where you can see and enjoy them. All of them are just beautiful.
I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day and that you don't feel 'lonely'. Blessings-xo Diana

Jane said...

I'm so glad you are celebrating Valentine's Day, Rainey. The roses are beautiful. Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow.

Hugs
Jane

Rebecca said...

What beautiful ways to celebrate and honor a most precious love. My Valentine Day won't be nearly as colorful or otherwise sense-a-tional as yours, I'm quite sure ♥ (And I'm just fine with that!)

I loved seeing the photos of those beautiful roses!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I'm happy for you that you can celebrate, even when the love of your life is not with you. I have a hard time doing that's Valentine's day is one I would just as soon forget.The roses are gorgeous.Have a beautiful day.

L. D. said...

This is such a wonderful post. Your adventure out was worth while with the new roses. Your friends were so kind to you and the dessert looks marvelous. God has blessed you every day and keeps on giving.

Dewena said...

Lorraine, you do Valentine's so well. I'm sure your dear husband would be so pleased that you take joy in your daily activities and see beauty in things small as well as great. I think you have the gift of thankfulness for your blessings and faith even during trying times. It is an inspiration to me, as I'm sure it is to your many blog friends as well as real-life friends. I love reading about your life at Plum Cottage.

BeachGypsy said...

I loved this post! Just beautiful. The roses are beautiful and i can almost smell their wonderful fragrance. And the love you and your husband enjoyed shines through loud and clear! I do love seeing all your pretty flowers and how you plant them-- i love your pretty garden--- it has a wild touch to it and that is my favorite kind!

GretchenJoanna said...

The LOVE rose was certainly a special gift from your sweet Lord to help you rejoice on Valentine's Day. And combined with all those other bee-you-tee-ful roses, what a flowery and proper celebration you will have. God bless you!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You certainly have an eye (and nose) for beautiful flowers. It hardly seems like 3 years since your job closed. You are being given a big ... huge Blessing in your health and agility to continue to enjoy and tend to your garden. Happy Valentine's Day.
xx, CArol

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you and your loved ones. We are enjoying this special day in Arkansas at our special little cabin on the mountain!

Love your rose choices. We have Fragrant Cloud and love it... The one named LOVE is similar to one we have... GORGEOUS...

Your cheesecake made my mouth water. YUM....

Hugs,
Betsy

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, I am really happy for you that you found 'Love' again! That is such a beautiful rose. I really like the white reverse and that it smells good is wonderful. I think your other two roses are very good choices, too.
Hope they grow well in your garden!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Warmly,
Christina

jerilanders said...

Lorraine, That is a stunning rose and a lovely gift to yourself on this Valentine's day, with thoughts of your beloved husband. It seems you've had a fine day, topping it off with that dessert is perfect. Wishing you the finest of thoughts today!

lil red hen said...

I'm so glad you had such a good shopping day. The roses are so very pretty. The farmer brought a red rose bush to me yesterday and so I need to find a good place to plant it. We have problems with deer eating things in the front yard. The roses I do have are plagued each summer with spots on their leaves and then they drop off. I'm wondering, how do you manage the health of your roses?

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Oh how I envy your roses
shady and damp here by the woods
and just have no luck with them.
My mother grew beautiful roses and every visit
to see her I would leave with a few.

Your steak gave me an idea on my next market stop,

Take care
you are a dear person..

Sallysmom said...

I immediately thought of you when I saw this today. http://www.finegardening.com/ode-valentines-day

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Rainey. Makes me really want to try my hand at roses again.

Hugs my dear friend.

eli

A Joyful Cottage said...

Lorraine, this is a beautiful tribute to God, your sweetheart, and your friends. I just love that you found the Love rose. Isn't that just like our loving Father? He truly does care for the widow. I truly believe you are honoring both God and your husband by continuing on with life and taking pleasure in what you have been given. I know from experience that it is not easy. You are an encouragement and inspiration to all of us. Hugs and love, Nancy

Debbie Harris said...

Aww...What a beautiful post. You have left me with tears in my eyes, dear Lorraine.
That rose is absolutely positively gorgeous! God certainly blessed your dear heart.

Your strawberry cheesecake dessert looks delicious!

Love and Hugs~~

Celestina Marie said...

Dear Lorraine, What a beautiful post and I couldn't help but tear up reading your words. I'm so glad your found the exact rose that celebrates your marriage. God's comfort and blessings gifted to you in such a beautiful way.
Roses do that don't they? Blessings to you always.
Hugs!!

Kit said...

What an incredible day you had! I loved all your flowers and am so happy you made yourself a special meal. Happy Valentines dear friend! Kit

Rue said...

That beautiful rose was meant to be, Rainey! I'm so glad you found it. I'm also glad you celebrated a little with a good steak and a yummy dessert :)

I just finished catching up with you and I was saddened to hear that you lost your mother and father. My prayers go out to you and your family, my sweet friend.

Love and hugs to you,
rue

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful Valentine's Day, dear Lorraine. I am a little teary-eyed right now after reading your sweet post. The roses are wonderful and that cheesecake is amazing! I would be digging into that face-first, I think! So glad that your friends stopped by and your sweet Brother and Sis-in-law. I have two of the Don Juan roses that I've had for many, many years. They are carefree and the scent is so beautiful. Mine are not in the best location - too much shade - but they keep on going despite it all. I'm glad that you found a rose to replace your sweet anniversary rose. I do believe that roses are gifts from the Angels. Mine always seem to bloom on those sweet days of remembrance - reminding me that my loved ones are always with me and 'sending me roses'. Hugs xo Karen

Leslie Kimel said...

Your Love rose is so pretty! I'm so glad you found it!

Andrea said...

Your roses and pentas are growing healthily for you this Valentine's Day. And how sweet of you to still have that lovely strawberry cake for you and husband, i am sure he is just there smiling. Emotions and love transcend beyond dimensions! I just wonder who ate the rest of the cake, hehe.

Jillayne said...

I love that you still celebrate the love you and your DH shared, and how amazingly special to have found that rose again. It is beautiful, and a very fitting story for Valentine's Day.

Junkchiccottage said...

These holidays are always hard when you are missing the love of your life. I am so glad you were able to celebrate and feel good about the day. The roses are beautiful and that desert so yummy. Glad you were ablt to find some joy on Valentine's Day.
Hugs,
Kris

Anne Payne said...

Rainey, I almost cried reading about you finding your Love Rose bush! I am so glad you found what you were looking for, and some added blessings too. God is good to give us the desires of our heart. That was very kind of your friends to show their love for you like that. Your post was a true blessing to read. Thank you for sharing! Love~Anne

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is such a sweet and wonderful post and brought tears to my eyes / you really did have the love of a lifetime ; I know that you miss that so much but many of us did not have it and wonder what it could have been like...

Annie said...

What a beautiful story about your rose.

September Violets said...

What a beautiful post in celebration of your love for your dear husband. I'm so glad that you are finding the beautiful things in each day, and even on the special days, that bring you joy. It's good to treat yourself with a special meal, and that cheesecake looks mouthwatering! The roses are gorgeous! How perfect to find the "love" rose in the same colours as your previous rose. These blooms will give back to you each year. Enjoy your weekend Lorraine!
Wendy xox

outlawgardener said...

Your beautiful post brought a tear to my eye. Finding 'Love' at HD is one of those special graces that we're given if we have eyes to see them. 'Fragrant Cloud' and 'Don Juan' are favorite roses of mine and I'll think of you when they bloom this summer.

Brings to mind the Robert Burns poem.

O my Luve is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June;
O my Luve is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.

So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve!
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile.

Darcie said...

What a perfectly beautiful story...your love, your rose, your day! So glad for the joy you found on this day!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

What beautiful roses. I just love the one that "jumped into" your chart. :) I send you ((hugs)), even though I am late, for Valentine's Day. I know your sweet husband is looking down from Heaven and smiling at you. ((hugs)).

I can't wait to see more pictures of all your lovely plantings.

Wishing you a day filled with much joy and many blessings. :)