Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Cooler Weather & Butterfly World

Good morning Folks ~ I hope you are all doing well, and enjoying life, whichever ‘season’ you happen to be in.

The weather the past few days has been just wonderful. It’s the weather we ‘year rounders’ look forward to every year. The time of year when the heat is much less and the humidity is almost gone too. The other morning it was 62 and felt like it was 59 when I was first up and what a blessing. It gives one renewed vigor for living life.

I’m able to work outside longer, getting more accomplished, and I hope to accomplish much more in the next few months.

Saturday a group from my little church family went to ‘Butterfly World’. I was able to hitch a ride with friends, as it’s about 30 minutes away and driving the turnpike. We had a good time on the way down and back getting to know each other better, plus the time at Butterfly World was a wonderful experience for all of us. So relaxing, so peaceful, so beautiful! I want to go back. I had forgotten my little Cannon Power Shot, I was so bummed, but at least I had my smart phone, and was able to get some pictures with that, although not as nice of ones as I would have gotten with my camera. Oh well. I could spend hours and hours there, I was inspired to keep working on my own personal butterfly world here at Plum Cottage.

To see lots of photos visit this link, Butterfly World photos from Google.

The weather was perfect, there were between 25-30 people in our group, is my guess. We did not have to stick together, so I mosied around snapping photos and just taking it all in as much as I could, running into friends here and there through the grounds. It was just what this FlowerLady needed. It was a gift from God, a time of enjoying His beautiful creations, in flora and ‘flying flowers’ and sweet birds. I came away feeling refreshed.

Here are some of my photos taken with my smart phone, warning some are blurry.

Here is our sweet guide, Jessica. She works here. She goes to our church and going as a group, we got a the group rate which is a much better price, which was GREAT for all of us. Isn’t she a doll? She has a wonderful personality. She has studied and has a certificate from UF in Entomology and Environmental Horticulture. She says, “I am technically a Butterfly Conservationist and I have been creating south FL butterfly habitats for people since 2002. Butterflies are my passion because I believe people can slow down and connect to nature and God while observing them.”

10-22-jessica

Here are some of the sweet little birds in the Aviary section.

10-22-bird

10-22-bird2

10-22-bird3

10-22-bird6

Was I ever surprised to feel little bird feet on my head. The birds love silver/white hair, for their nests. Smile Jessica told me this bit of trivia when I told her later they had landed on my head. Here are a couple of selfies.

10-22-bird4

10-22-bird5

The next two photos were taken by a young lady from church who happened to be in the Aviary at the same time I was.

10-22-birds7

What a great capture this was! Tugging on my hair. All I felt was their little feet walking on my head, quite the experience.

10-22-birds8

Butterfly nursery. There are different little nurseries for each species.

10-22-birthing-room

Some of the butterflies I was able to capture. 

They just don’t stop fluttering around.

     10-22-butterfly    

Bananas are a food source for butterflies. There were several of these feeding stations. When these butterflies open their wings, the upper side is a beautiful blue! I could not capture them with wings widespread.

10-22-butterfly2

The foreground butterflies were actually more green than yellow in coloring.

10-22-butterfly4

10-22-butterfly3   

10-22-butterfly6

10-22-butterfly7

10-22-butterfly5

Some orchids.

10-22-orchids

10-22-orchids2

10-22-orchids3

Roses

10-22-rose

10-22-rose2

10-22-rose3

Passion Vines

10-22-plants6

10-22-plants8

10-22-plants7

The butterfly house was a tropical oasis, just wonderful. Something I really loved about this place was the sound of water everywhere and the soothing sounds of lovely instrumental music.

10-22-plants

10-22-plants2

10-22-plants3

10-22-plants5

10-22-plants4

Lovely flowers and shrubbery everywhere.

10-22-plants9

10-22-plants10

10-22-plants11

10-22-plants12

10-22-plants13

10-22-plants14

10-22-pond

I will end with this last photo. I just loved these crane statuary. That is a swinging bridge in the background, which leads to the Aviary part. I bought three plants and a packet of seeds, which I’ll tell about in another post, as this one is overly long.

Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

10-22-pond-bridge

23 comments:

Sallysmom said...

So very glad you went on this little trip. Things like this can be very restorative.

Jane said...

Glad you had a good time, Rainey. Although, I would have freaked out if birds landed on my head. :) (Bad run in with a bat when I was young.)

Summer said...

Loving these beautiful snippets ♥

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Lorraine, What a wonderful way to spend the day, visiting a Butterfly Garden.
Butterflies are so pretty and they look so delicate. I have a Buddleah tree in my garden and when it flowers during the month of September, it is covered with maybe 20 or 30 butterflies feeding on the nectar.
How marvellous that you managed to take a photo with those cute little birds on your head... it must have felt a little strange to have those tiny birds feet on your head, but how wonderful to know that your beautiful hair will enrich their nest for the next generation.
I am so glad to hear that you had so much support when you knew the hurricane was approaching and that you were able to stay safe and sound. I was thinking about you, hoping all would be alright.
Have a wonderful day today and enjoy the sunshine.
Best Wishes to you.
Daphne

Nancy J said...

What a beautiful setting for the birds and butterflies.Flowers, cranes that I thought might be real, and together with friends, a perfect day out.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Such a great outing and a beautiful spot to greet the birds and butterflies.
Good gor you!

Morning's Minion said...

What a lovely post--and an outing to create peace and hope. I will be back to enjoy the photos again.
BTW: Your silvery hair is lovely--mine is more of a pewtery grey--and becoming thin enough I wouldn't want birds pulling it out!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, what a delightful post...Jessica is a lovely young woman and enjoyed reading about her. Loved the photos of birds "nesting" in your beautiful hair.
I've got a beautiful little collection of hummingbird nests made of the hair of my horses.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I just cracked UP on the birds landing on your head / this post was so much FUN! :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Now that looks like a place I would love.Seeing so many butterflies would be a thrill and then to have the birds around as well.WOW!

NanaDiana said...

Wow! What a wonderful trip. I noticed that your hair is a lot like mine..except mine is almost pure white now...lol I wear it long and in a braid often, too.

That girl that was your guide is just a doll and what fun to have someone you know give you the tour.

I hope you have a great rest of the week- xo Diana

Celestina Marie said...

What an incredible trip and place to be refreshed in God's beauty. Your photos are amazing. You hair is gorgeous and looks like the birds thought so too.SO glad you have a great time and a special tour guide.
Have a great rest of the week. xo

Dewena said...

Definitely an amazing place to spend hours and hours at! And I'm sure no one appreciated it more than you although my husband would have been right there lapping it all up too. And Jessica must have been a delight too, you can see the joy she has in her work just by looking at her.

When our son and his family were here last week they visited the Jacksonville zoo and my little granddaughters got such a thrill out of birds perching on their heads.

I think your phone takes great pictures!

Susan said...

Looks like a fun trip. Beautiful surroundings and how fun to have the birds on your head.

Karen said...

What a wonderful post (and trip!) So many beautiful butterflies, just amazing. And the little birds on your head, how precious. I can see why; they love your beautiful hair! I feel the same way about cameras vs. cellphones, I like a camera much more, but your photographs turned out perfectly. Glad your weather has cooled down so you can enjoy the time outdoors. :-)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a beautiful little paradise! Love seeing all the butterflies, birds and flowers. So funny about the birds liking silver hair :) I have a cockatiel and he sometimes lands on my head - haha! It is a funny feeling......I did not know about butterflies liking bananas. That is something I can do with all those bananas that get too ripe in the summer! So glad you were able to get out and enjoy this beautiful place. xx Karen

Deborah Montgomery said...

I'm so glad you had this wonderful field trip! What a blessing after the hurricane scare. What a beautiful sanctuary for birds and butterflies and flowers. Loved seeing the birds in your hair. Another advantage of having silver hair. Maybe I should sit out on my deck and see if my birds will land on my head!! I can see why you'd want to go back; a very peaceful and lovely place.
Glad your weather is nice, too. The humidity can really sap your strength. Like you said, the lower humidity makes you feel alive again!
Blessings to you, Deborah

Unknown said...

Wow! What a wonderful visit this was! I have heard of Butterfly World but have never visited so now I really must. You took some lovely photos of these beautiful butterflies and birds too. It really looks like a magical place. Loved the orchids too!

jerilanders said...

Oh wow! I love this, Look at those birds in your beautiful silvery hair!. Simply marvelous. I would love to visit this place. And your hair color looks like my silver hens feathers, so pretty

Marti said...

That would be a great way to relax and renew your spirit. Your phone takes pretty nice pictures! What kind is it? I love that the little birds came right to you.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Looks like a fun trip. So cute that the bird was drawn to you.

Stacey said...

How beautiful!! I'd love to spend a day there.

We are going to the Dallas Arboretum this week and I can't wait to take lots of pictures. :)

M.K. said...

What a gorgeous place! I'm glad your temps are lowering now and work is easier outside.