Friday, September 23, 2016

Officially, fall is here

Hi Folks ~ According to the calendar, fall is here, but you wouldn’t know it by the temperatures we are having here in s.e. FL. In the high 80’s, and feels like it is in the high 90’s or low 100’s depending on the humidity factor. I worked outside yesterday morning for two hours, and this morning for only an hour. I need to buy some Gatorade for the electrolytes I know I’m depleting when I work out there sweating something awful. I do drink water to keep hydrated. But, I can tell when I just can’t do one more thing, and just quit. It will be there the next morning.

This place has become so overgrown, some areas worse than others as those areas were the ones my dear husband took care of. Eventually they will get done. I’m just doing what I can, when I can.  I’ll show before and after pictures, when the work is done. There have been hints of ‘autumn’ and the mockingbirds are singing their hearts out as they know summer is over and cooler weather is coming.

No matter how overgrown, I am still very thankful for my little home on 1/4 of an acre. The house itself is 665 sq. ft. We have been living in a tiny home, since before the ‘tiny house movement’ even began. We moved into here in the summer of 1973. I wouldn’t be able to handle a larger place, this is plenty for me, and sometimes feels like too much on my own. But it is what it is, and I am blessed to have this place.

09-23-home-sweet-home

The little stained glass piece was from my sis-in-law who came down to visit from TN. She had several to choose from and this was the one that spoke to me. Colors and the sentiment, plus I have lots of birds around the cottage.

I had a nice visit with this sis-in-law and my dear husband’s other sister, who lives in northern FL, plus my DH’s brother and his wife, who live about an hour away, so see more often than the other two. Below I am with DH’s older sister, on the left, and his younger sister, on the right, from TN. She drove by herself in one day. That is NOT something I could do. Will you look at their lovely dark hair? A gene from their father.

09-16-fern-me-gail

The next morning after our visit, I woke up with a sore throat, that even effected my ear. I felt like ‘poop’ all day. Took ‘Bioplasma’ cell salts 3 times during the day, ate some delicious homemade vegetable soup from my other sis-in-law Sue, had some ginger-lemon tea with probiotics, rested, to bed earlier than usual and woke up the next morning feeling well again. Yay!

So, since the cottage is cleaned up, I’ll share some photos. Not trendy, but it is artistic-eccentric and home sweet home. These photos were all taken late this afternoon during rainy weather. I didn’t put the overhead light on because it makes it too bright. The lamps create a nice ambiance.

The bookcase in the right corner of the picture below, is made up of the one that had been in the hall, then has two rounded end pieces, which I had had put together under the window before putting them all together here. I was just going to take a picture, but my batteries need charging. I like the ‘coziness’ and most of my favorite books are right where I can take one out and read something. The little floor lamp needs a new three-way bulb, that’s why it isn’t on. This is the southeast corner of the cottage.

09-23-liv-rm-se

This is the north wall, archway to the left leading into the kitchen/scullery area.

09-23-liv-rm-north

West living room wall.

09-23-liv-rm-west

My little ‘creative space’ and also where I blog on my computer. Size is 6’x8’.

09-23-into-my-space

This painting is on the little hall wall where the electric rose bush had been. It is across from the bathroom. The hall is 28 1/2 inches wide. Before DH made the second archway in that wall, it was so dark and cramped.  This watercolor was painted in 1895.

09-23-hall-wall

Here is the electric rose bush in it’s new location, and lit. It has a dimmer switch, and this is not as bright as it can go. Very pretty and I am happy with it in the new spot and with the newly painted pink wall color.

09-23-rose-tree-lit

This is the tiny wall space between the two arches in the living room.

09-23-sewing-table

This is the ‘scullery’, which by definition is a room where dishes were washed and was also a pantry. DH served in the scullery during bootcamp for the US Navy, and I chose to call this space that used to be the utility room the scullery. I love it. The kitchen area I didn’t get a picture of today. Another time.

09-23-scullery

This is my window looking out into the secret garden.

09-23-scullery-window

Well, I guess that’s it for now from Plum Cottage. People were wondering if I was ok, so here I am.

My life journey is different, I miss my dear husband more than words can say, and I’m doing the best I can.

Each day is a gift and there is beauty and blessings in each one. To God be the glory. Amen.

Thank you all for your love and encouragement. Priceless.

FlowerLady

19 comments:

SimplySingleSenior said...

Relaxing on the computer after a day at work and saw your post. Your sweet, cozy home makes me smile. Your decor is wonderful - eclectic, colorful and timeless. I want to sit and enjoy a cup of tea in that wonderful space! Your garden is also very beautiful. Sending happy thoughts your way.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for the tour of your home. It looks very cozy.

Nancy J said...

Dearest Lorraine, you are a marvel,managing your garden, the weed-whacking, the lawns, and your handcrafts as well. Loved the tour, every room speaks of " You" so well, and I can imagine myself there, that is a gift from a true writer. Yes, life changes, and we have to cope, adapt, do our best, and live on.My life changed in an instant when Hugh had his heart attack, and the following year even more with his spinal troubles, He will not ever be the same fit and capable man he was, but with help we do manage. I have learnt, as you have, when to stop and rest. Guess sometime soon it might be cooler for you, we had "almost a frost" this morning, just that hint of white on some parts of the lawn. Hugs and much love from NZ.Maybe I should say from Jean in case you have another friend down here.

gld said...

I love every single thing about your cottage. Your sense of style shines through everywhere. Don't forget to share the 'kitchen' area soon.

I don't know how you manage with your tropical weather and rampant growth of green things...I am failing here and things will freeze next month.

Rebecca said...

I commented, but not sure it posted.
Sigh.
Like gld, I love every single thing about your cottage, too.
Glad to see your post. Have a good rest-of-the-weekend.

Jane said...

Glad you had a nice visit Rainey. Love the tour of your tiny house. I disagree,your home is trendy, very Boho. Guess you were far ahead of that trend, too. One of the nicest things about living way up North is that we get a nice long respite from all the garden work. I don't think I could manage if I had to work at it all year long as you do.

Hugs
Jane

Melanie said...

I hope you had a wonderful visit with your sisters-in-law! My mom (age 76 and widowed for almost 18 years) still drives everywhere; in fact, she's driving herself to KY tomorrow - an 8 hour drive.

I didn't realize your cottage was so small. It sure is charming and cozy. It looks like you have a lot of interesting things displayed. I would love to visit your place and have you tell me the stories behind the pretty pictures and all the lovely things you have collected.

It has finally cooled off here in northern IL; in fact, it's a tad chilly today (which feels good), but it's dreary and cloudy which I don't like. Please be careful working outdoors in that heat and humidity. And since you're into natural health like I am, I just thought I'd warn you about Gatorade: it's full of nasty, very unhealthy ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, vegetable oil derived from soybeans, etc. You can easily make your own healthy electrolyte drinks. Just do a Google search for some recipes! :-)

Dewena said...

when I see photos of Plum Cottage it is like looking at a charming English cottage in a UK magazine, or one of the old English movies I adore. I think God's blessing rests on it too, it and your garden.

So many people here in Ponte Vedra Beach keep reassuring me that this is not a normal FL summer. I hope not! I keep wondering if the nighttime temperatures will ever fall into the 60s.

I'm glad you've had such pleasant family visits recently and that you felt better after taking good care of yourself. We have to do that when we can.

Cheryl said...

Things to love about this post: your heart of gratitude, a short-lived illness, your cozy and lovely home, the fact that you have a "scullery," God's faithfulness to you!

Kit said...

Hello my friend! Your place is looking wonderful. And it is good to see pics of you and your family. Love, Kit

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

All the while we have lived in my home, I wished we had bought a bigger one with more open spaces and lots of windows. Now that we are retired, I no longer have that wish. So really look at all the messing around moving here or there we saved by just staying where we are. Your little house is about 300 SF smaller than our first house. I used to say that I bounced off the walls when I was pregnant! I'm glad you have such a cozy place to be. I can imagine how your yard would become overgrown quickly with the Florida humidity. Have a very lovely day and week. Cooler weather is on the way.
xx, Carol

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Your home is so sweet and cozy! I love your new stained glass. Sweet photo of you and your sissies, too. I love that you have artwork and books everywhere. A gal after my own heart. Seems hanging beautiful art has gone out of style these days. A small home makes life manageable. I am the chief gardener here, too. Hubby is always gone for work travel......so I am alone alot. All my gardens are in a state of panic. Haha! Guess I should be out there and not on my computer :) Hang in there, while the rest of us are shivering all winter, you can catch up on those gardens, my dear. Sending hugs xo Karen

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Your home is lovely! An inspiration, in fact.
Glad you had such great company and I am glad that you are feeling so much better, too.

Darla said...

I really enjoyed seeing your home and how you have organized your space. The view from the window into the secret garden is so amazing. I want to see more of that garden. Maybe you've shown it before. Sounds like you had some good company, that's always nice.

Deb J. in Utah said...

You home is so cozy and homey. I love that you have so many books. To me, a home without books is not a home! Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures. So glad you are feeling better and that were able to spend time with your SILs. Have a great day!

Leslie Kimel said...

Thanks for posting the lovely pictures of your cottage! I love your artsy style. Everything looks so cozy and comfortable and yet so cool and bohemian. Are you on Instagram? I discovered this gorgeous account that I think you would enjoy: https://www.instagram.com/elfielondon/?hl=en. It features beautiful photos of English cottages and manor houses, both interiors and exteriors. I really think you would like it.

Life at Still Woods said...

Bless you Lorraine. I cannot imagine how much you miss your DH. Your lovely Plum Cottage seems welcoming and comforting. The scullery is terrific and a great tribute to your Navy man! I am intrigued by the 1895 water color. The colors are beautiful and do not appear to have suffered at all through the years. How old is your cottage? I see the stained glass windows in the one photo. Were they original to the cottage? Thank you for sharing your cozy cottage with us. Glad you are feeling better:)
Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, I think your cottage is so charming. I know that we will have to be downsizing one of these days and it is something that we will all have to do one time or another. Your secret garden looks lovely with lots of trees for the birds to sing in. That is the most beautiful wood work around the window that I see in your creative space. It looks gorgeous and I like the arched doorways. So much more charm that square ones. Enjoy the rest of your week and the pretty lighted rose bush. Happy Wednesday..Judy

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

See you were ahead of the trend. I love your home. The arch is lovely. They don't make houses like they used to. Happy Fall.