Sunday, February 7, 2016

More Rose photos

Good morning Folks ~ It is chilly here in s.e. FL. At 7:18 a.m. EST, it is 52 and feels like it is 44.  I've not been outside yet, but it's wet, windy and more rain is expected as a big load of it is headed this way according to Doppler weather from AccuWeather.  It is cozy here in Plum Cottage and I am thankful for this new day.

Yesterday I walked the property, to see just how many roses I have growing here. I counted 40, 21 of them have a name, the rest are unknown, came without tags. I have some repeats too. When I got to the back of the property by the small shed, I kept smelling this wonderful rose aroma and finally figured out where it was mostly coming from and that is from one of my 'rare' roses from Connie at Hartwood Roses, Ruth's Wavy Leafed white rose. Oh my, I was almost in heaven. Also scenting the air was Crepuscule and Rose de Rescht.


Below are photos taken on the 5th.
The first 4 pics are of 'Crepuscule'.





This is either Borderer or Homere, I don't remember which.

 
This is 'Rose de Rescht' given to me by Deb & Charlie. The scent is oh so wonderful.

 
This is an unknown miniature.

 
This is another unknown, not much of a scent but still beautiful.

 
Another unknown, this might be a 'Knock out' but I don't really know.


The day after I ordered my 4 new roses, for V-day and my B-day, I got an email saying Rose Petal's nursery was having a 20% off on their Bermuda roses. I 'had' to go back and look at that section of roses and ended up ordering 4 more, counting them as anniversary (our 47th would have been this Sept.) and Christmas. :-)

I ordered these 4 below. Photos from the website.

Starting at top left.

Bermuda's Kathleen, Carnation, Winecup and Miss Atwood. 
The description says three are fragrant, the other one, Winecup doesn't say, but I loved the flowers.

So, with these and the other 4 ordered, I will have 48 roses.

Below is a collage of the first 4 I ordered. Photos from the website

Starting at top left: Barnhouse Rose, Bayse's Purple, Mozart & International Herald Tribune. I believe all of these are fragrant, the only one I'm not sure of is the first one Barnhouse.  But I love the flowers and they are very hardy.


I'm looking forward to watching all 8 of these new babies grow and bloom.

Many, many, many years ago, I told my dear husband I'd rather have growing roses and flowers than dying bouquets.  My garden is a wild, tropical, cottage style garden with much to fill my heart with love, memories, peace & joy.  I thank God for blessing me every day with my life.  It isn't always easy, but there is something good and beauteous in each new day.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

******

I will close this post with some rose quotes.

There is simply the rose;
it is perfect in every moment of its existence.  
Ralph Waldo Emerson

She who loves roses must be patient
and not cry out when she is pierced by thorns.   
Olga Brouman

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature
is that all of us tend to put off living.
We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-
instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.
Dale Carnegie

I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds 'round my neck.
Emma Goldman

The perfume of roses are like exquisite chords of music
composed of many odor notes
harmoniously blended.
N F Miller

The rose speaks of love silently,
in a language known only to the heart.
Unknown


25 comments:

Val said...

That many roses would be heaven on earth for me too. I love these virtual visits to your garden. :)

Leslie Kimel said...

That's awesome that you have so many roses, and I love the new ones you chose. I especially like Barnhouse. It really has that carefree "wild rose" look. Have you had good luck with mail-order roses? Are they hard to get started?

Jane said...

Beautiful! I'm glad your roses give you so much joy, Rainey. I have hopes that this year's mild weather with bode well for mine.

Hugs
Jane

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I adore roses!! I planted 5 at my new home last summer and can't wait to find spaces for more!

Nancy J said...

The wee golden mini, and " Carnation" my favourites, and I can imagine the perfume as you stroll there after a light shower of rain, almost heaven in your rose garden. Beautiful photos.

Janice said...


They're all so beautiful, it would be impossible to pick a favorite. I always loved them because each one is so unique, as is their fragrance.
I visited the Rose Petals site you put up and found that they'll be open to the public the 13th of this month. It's just a little over an hour from us, so it might make a good 'field trip'.



Dewena said...

How my father would have loved seeing your garden paradise! I believe he loved roses as much as you do.

My sisters in Orlando area are loving the cooler temperatures now.

Kim said...

Love the Dale Carnegie quote. SO true...

Rue said...

Your roses are gorgeous, Rainey. I hope they blooms well for you :)

Stay dry and warm!

xoxo,
rue

Janice said...


I'll definitely say I saw them mentioned on your blog. And of course, I probably won't leave empty handed...maybe an empty purse. I hope we get to go! Stay warm. _Janice

BeachGypsy said...

Oh i have always loved that emma goldman quote!!your roses are so so so beautiful my friend!! I would love to visit them and their sweet fragrance!!

Deborah Montgomery said...

I love roses! My favorite flower. How wonderful to have so many beautiful roses to enjoy. I always think natural beauty is such a balm to the soul.

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! With that many roses,your garden must always be filled with beauty.

sweetbay said...

Ha ha I told DH the same thing about bouquets.

You have a lot of beautiful roses. Crepuscule has the most wonderful blend of colors. I'm glad to hear that Ruth's Wavy Leafed white rose is so fragrant!

Joy Junktion said...

Your roses are beautiful, Rainey! I know you will love the new ones and they will thrive in your gorgeous gardens! Blessings for a wonderful 'heart' week! Cindy xo

A Joyful Cottage said...

Gorgeous roses, Rainey! Oh, it must be heavenly to walk through your beautiful garden. I enjoyed the photos and the quotes. I'd like to add roses to our landscape this spring, but have to fence them in for the deer love to eat them. :( Have a great week, my friend. Hugs, Nancy

Janneke said...

So beautiful, I love your style of gardening, cottagy with many, many flowers and of course roses, who should we be without roses. I think I have to put 'Crepuscule' on my wishlist, but ohhh my garden is already fully booked. Just planted last week 6 new roses.

Jessica Jarrell said...

I always request a live plant rather than a bouquet. The hubby has gotten pretty good at that. Silly or not, I cannot help feeling sad looking at beautiful flowers and know they are dying. My mom is the same way, I always pick out live plants for her too :-)

Hope you had a great weekend FlowerLady!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That's an amazing amount and variety and I enjoyed seeing them since up here there's NOTHING to see right now, lol! :)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Rainey, your roses are all stunning. You have such a wonderful collection and variety. I love my roses too and looking forward to spring and getting out in the garden again. Have a nice week. Blessings. xo

Darcie said...

Your roses are simply beautiful!! How wonderful too to smell the rose before you even seeing it! It seems like roses give gifts in so many ways!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So many lovely roses and such a sweet comment to your dear husband about having the roses in the garden rather than the vase. I hope you give us some tips on how to care for roses - I need all the help I can get! I think having the scent of roses in the garden is one of the best things about gardening! Hugs xo Karen

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

My fingers are itching t get in my garden but its bitter winter here. I only grow climbers since my sun garden is narrow and long. Can't wait to be back out there.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous roses Lorraine! You really have some beautiful ones. I'm so glad you have a Crepuscule and that it is a favorite. I just love this rose because it performs so well and has the most beautiful flowers.
Just lovely!
- Kate

M.K. said...

You are so cute, ordering your Christmas presents in February :) Well, you might as well have them and ENJOY them all these intervening months, right? The photos are lovely. At this house, I have only about 5 tea roses by the front porch. I used to have lovely sturdy rugosa roses at our old house, and I might get some more of those here. Oh, and we planted 6 knock-outs. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.