Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What’s happening in May

 

Good morning Folks ~ Hope you here in the states had a nice long weekend, and also thought about our military, those who have lost their lives, and those who have served or are serving now. Many thanks to all, and their families too. I’m also thankful that my husband did his tour of duty for the US Navy 69-73.

I did nothing special, mostly worked on my first patchwork piece, all done by hand. It’s been an experience, and practice will make it easier with each time I try this. I’ve got stitches to learn too.  I’ve seen real beauties out in blogland, and I’m a real newbie to this skill. I’ve much to learn with this art form yet.  I want to thank Lisa of Ivory Blush Roses and Susan of Plays with Needles for their inspiration.  They both do exquisite work, very talented ladies.

I wanted to make a creamy heart, because I was going to attempt a tiny bird nest. My inspiration came from Di van Niekerk’s website page How to make a little nest.

05-18-first-patchwork-heart

 Here’s the heart as it is right this minute.  I’ve got to sew on the beaded crocheted trim I made yesterday.  It’s just pinned on right now.

I used antique lace, new lace bits, silk ribbon, seed and bugle beads and fresh water pearls are the eggs in the little nest.  I didn’t have real raffia, but used another material (paper I think) that worked without me having to go out to spend more $.

05-26-first-patchwork

05-26-first-patchwork2

In this photo you can see the bits of feather I used with the nest too.

05-26-first-patchwork3

This will be going in my Etsy shop, soon I hope. (I’m such a procrastinator.)

Now, here are some blooms from Plum Cottage gardens.

This first little flower is from the plant ‘gray leaf’ or Melochia tomentosa.  I bought it from a nursery that sells butterfly plants. (I may be working for this lady come Sept. in her nursery when it’s cooler and she’ll be potting up plants for a show in November.)

05-15-grayleaf

These next two plants were from her also, first a beautiful plumeria.  I have a pink one I got as cuttings many years ago. This one has a lovely perfume.

05-18-plumeria

And this is another reed orchid.  What a beautiful color.  The ones that grow like crazy in my gardens are orange.  I divided this plant into three different ones. Smile

05-15-reed

This is an angel trumpet, grown from a stick of a cutting that I got in the mail last year. I have two of this color growing.  I had one like this that was a huge plant, but lost it a few years back. The blooms are huge and have a delightful scent.

05-18-angel-trumpet

The back side is pretty too.

05-18-angel-trumpet2

Here are blooms on the plant by the ‘dirty’ caravan. Sheesh, I need to give it a bath.

05-18-angel-trumpet3

05-18-angel-trumpet4

My sis-in-law (hubby’s older sister) was in town last Thursday and came over for a visit. She wanted to see things she’d seen online so we toured inside and out.

Hearing her comments made me appreciate this little place all the more and what DH and I have done with it through the years.

Sadly my heart garden area was a weedy mess, but the next morning I was inspired to get outside early to weed and bring some plants over to the area. I’ve still some tweaking to do in this area, but it looks much better than it did. I made this heart shape soon after losing my DH. In the middle are two cement pieces with his hand print and our old blue tick hounds’ paw print.

05-23-heart

I need to fill in more with the smoothed pebbles.  I have a broken bag of them in another area.

05-24-heart2

Now for some roses in bloom at this time. This one is an unknown with small but beautiful blooms.

05-18-unkn

This is ‘Granada’. I loved how the morning sunlight was hitting the back rose.

05-23-granada

This is a rose called ‘Picnic’.

05-23-picnic

This is the ‘Paul McCartney’ rose, with a delicious scent that fills the air.

05-23-pmccart

That’s it for now.

May your days be filled with love, peace and joy ~ FlowerLady

38 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Good morning - good to hear from you again! Your flowers are beautiful, as usual. That Angel's Trumpet flower is huge. I would love to visit your garden in person one day! Your handiwork is as beautiful as your flowers. You are so talented. Have a wonderful day!

Jane said...

That little bird's nest you made is very sweet, Rainey! Love it! Hoping that the work with the nursery that sells butterfly plants pans out. It seems like it would be a perfect fit for you. Such beautiful flowers, as always!

Bear hugs
Jane

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, wow, this heart is I think one of the most beautiful creations that you have ever made! The attention to detail is incredible and I love the restrained color scheme. I think I could never part with it, if I would have made it, but if you sell it, I wish you that you get a price that reflects the work and love you put into it.
Now to your plants. They are lovely as always. I am very smitten with ‘gray leaf’ plant, Melochia tomentosa. This is a new-to-me plant and I have to look it up and see if it would be possible to grow in my garden as well. I also love the new plumeria and the Angel's trumpet and, of course, your roses. You have such a wealth of flowers growing in your garden it is amazing.
Wishing you a nice rest of the week!
Warm regards,
Christina

Becky said...

Love your stitchery heart and the nest is adorable. I have not done any stitchery in quite awhile; been focused more on my paper crafting. As always I love all your blooms!

Nancy J said...

Sitchery, as always, delicate and beautiful, the bird's nest delicate, and the longer I look, the more I see in your wee heart. Beautiful blooms,enjoy your week. Down here, very cold, 0 Celsius at just after 5 a.m. the wee nipper wakes us early, and now he is asleep on Hugh's chest, snuggled, warm, and no doubt loving that human warmth and heart beat.The fire is stoked up, and Felicity on the woodbox, and Ginger Boy on the settee.

Janice said...


Oh my goodness, what talent! I used to fool around with cross stitch and embroidery, but mine was kind of like 'paint by number'. Beautiful pillow, very creative. Flowers are exquisite also.

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

I love plumeria but it will not grow here, yours is gorgeous.

Your heart turned out fabulous!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beauty surrounds you
and your talent
amazes me....

lil red hen said...

As usual, I really enjoyed seeing your flowers; I'd love to have a variety of flowers just like you do ~ the more the better.

Your needlework surely does not look like it was made by a newbie! It is beautiful and what a sweet nest with eggs!

I'd love working in a place with so many lovely flowers; you'll be great there with all your wisdom about flowers.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your talents amaze me.I also love seeing all your flowers,they seem to thrive under your tender care.

Jean Campbell said...

Your patchwork heart with the little bird nest is the prettiest ever. Your inspiration is delightful.

May is such a wonderful month for flowers. Angel trumpets are just starting to bloom here, the most sheltered ones have buds and a handful of blooms. Some take weeks and months to finally put on a show.

Your tropicals are always so pretty and the roses are exquisite.

Sallysmom said...

I love your little patchwork piece with the nest and eggs. I wish i had your talent.

Leslie Kimel said...

Wow, the patchwork heart is beautiful! I love the tiny nest with the pearl eggs--how enchanting! All the little details are amazing.

Lona said...

Wow look at the size of those blooms on that Angel Trumpet. Outrageous. LOL! I love it. The plumeria blooms always look so lovely. I wish I could grow them here or had a nice sun lite window to grow one. Your heart is so beautiful with that little nest. You do such beautiful work. We had a little rain this evening which we needed. It does not take long to dry out here with the winds sometimes. Have a wonderful week Lorriane. :)

Mrs. E said...

Your flowers are just beautiful! Love your little heart garden...so peaceful.

Maryann said...

Your needle work heart is beautiful, you are so talented. I do love all your flowers, the trumpet flower is really unusual looking and the roses (and all your other flowers) are just lovely.

Terry said...

Hi Lorraine!

Your heart is stunning! The little nest is precious. I am going to visit your Etsy Shop. That is a goal of mine this year - to open an Etsy Shop.
Your flowers are beauiful too! I also loved that way the light was hitting the back of that gorgeous rose.

Have a joyful day!
Terry

Susan said...

Good morning Lorraine, Your little heart pillow is adorable. So much delicate and beautiful work goes into it. How exciting to hear that you may be working at a nursery. I always thought that would be fun. Have you ever counted to see how many different rose bushes you have. It would be interesting to know because you have so many beautiful ones. Hope you're getting rain on your end. Have a nice day!

Gary said...

I'm spending the afternoon getting invoices and figures up to date for the accountant before we go away Lorraine, and I thought I would take a quick peek at your blog. Glad I did. So lovely and beautiful in your garden as usual.

Unknown said...

Oh, Lorraine, your patchwork heart is just perfect! You do absolutely beautiful work! I am also adoring all of your gorgeous roses and those Angel Trumpets are so pretty! I need to move my A.T. to a new location - a little more sun I think. Or maybe I'll just lop off a branch and start a new one...I think I'm more the Nonchalant Gardener or maybe the Lazy Gardener, lol! Hope you're enjoying this sunny day! L.

Deb said...

The Heart Patchwork is absolutely beautiful, you have such an eye for color and detail. There is something so satisfying when I do handwork. Both of the blogs you mentioned are just delight, I have followed for a while now. Wow the Angel Trumpet is lovely as are your roses. Thanks for sharing.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, your heart pillow is beautiful! I was drawn to the lovely neutral colors! And, the photos of your flowers are really special. I once bought a stalk of plumeria from the Phila Flower Show but, sadly, I was not able to root it. The fragrance is just amazing! I once grew an Angel trumpet that was very lovely! It was yellow but I think your pink and white is gorgeous!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I love the heart, Lorraine.
O my...the flowers are all so lovely.
thanks for sharing...

Joy Junktion said...

Your garden flowers are gorgeous Lorraine! And that heart is beautiful. What a lot of delicate detail work you put into it. I'm sure it will sell the minute it hits etsy, I'd sure buy it if I get there first :) You do great work! Many blessings, Cindy

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

SO many pretty blooms and your heart with the nest and all the details is absolutely exquisite!

Cheryl said...

A newbie at this art? I can't tell!! Your little patchwork heart is lovely and I like the little bird's nest you incorporated into the design.

I also love your heart garden, full of meaning and beauty.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Thank you for the link to Lisa'a tutorial........so pretty and your heart is lovely. Do you have an Etsy shop? I want to visit it! Your tour of your lovely garden and pretty blossoms is breath taking. I love the angels trumpet! You memory garden with your husbands hand print and dog's paw print made me teary eyed. What a precious thing to see when waling about your grounds! Hope this finds you safe from the storms!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

You did such a lovely job on the heart. Thank you for the link. Your garden and flowers are so lovely!

Deborah Montgomery said...

What beautiful flowers! So pretty. And your handmade heart is gorgeous; you've done such a lovely job. I love the little pearls in their nest.

June said...

Oh Lorraine, that heart is gorgeous! So much work, but oh, so lovely!!!Thank you for sharing that because I appreciate so much people who can do stitching like this. It makes me want to try it.
I can't believe that Angel Trumpet! You can grow the most beautiful things there. I loved seeing your heart garden and the many blooms you have right now. How I love touring other peoples gardens!
sending hugs...

Rue said...

I've never heard of an Angel's Trumpet, but it's glorious! Your heart garden is enchanting and so special.

Have a wonderful weekend!

xo

jerilanders said...

You are such a marvel with your needles and ribbons and bits! Very lovely, as is the heart garden. What is the tree in the center? Good grief, I have never seen such a huge bloom, it looks as if it could swallow a bird!

Art and Sand said...

Your flowers are lovely, but the heart is what spoke to me. I loved the before pic, so simple and plain. And then, I saw the finished product lovely!

Terra said...

What an elegant heart with the pearls as eggs in the nest. I like Angel's Trumpet too; I had a yellow one years ago. Your garden plants are glowing with good health.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lorraine, I am always in awe of the things you create. I love your hearts, the one you are stitching, and the one in the garden that you are almost finished with. I'm glad you got to see your sister in law.

Thanks for your comment on my Wildflower Wednesday post. Your blooms are always lovely, too, and some are very different from what grow here.

I hope you get to work for the lady who sells plants.

KathyB. said...

Your new heart with so much beautiful embroidery and needlework is beautiful ! I also love seeing what is growing in your gardens and the work you're doing in them. It does seem never-ending sometimes , doesn't it? Tending , weeding, tending, weeding...gardens just plain tae a lot of work & love. Yours are evidence of your love.

sweetbay said...

The angel's trumpet and roses are gorgeous!

M.K. said...

FL, your heart stitching with the lace and bird's nest is simply fabulous -- you are so gifted! I know you say you are a beginner, but that doesn't look beginnerish to me! I hope you will be able to sell more and more from your etsy shop. They are so nice.

What a MASSIVE bloom! I'm stunned at how large it is, compared with your arm and hand behind it. Wow! I don't think we have anything like that here. Probably our magnolia blooms are the biggest ones we have.

I hope you're surviving the summer heat now.