Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Herbs & Foods for eye care and plantar fasciitis

 

Hi Folks ~ Thank you all for your comments on my dealing with glaucoma and plantar fasciitis. Encouragement, tips, prayers mean a lot.

I’ve done a lot of googling on both problems on dealing with them naturally and holistically.  Do your own research to get more in depth info. I am not a dr. I am only searching for ways of dealing with these issues for myself.

------

Will start with Glaucoma first.

Herbs for eyes:

Eyebright, milk thistle, Ginko Biloba, Fennel, Saffron, Bilberry, Green Tea, Turmeric, Goldenseal.

Foods for eyes:

Foods high in carotenoids – Orange and yellow vegetables are critical to provide sufficient vitamin A to keep eyes healthy.

Blueberries and cherries

Wild caught fish

Brewer’s yeast

Fish Oil

Flaxseed Oil

Magnesium – Foods that have magnesium in them – spinach, chard, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, almonds, black beans, avocado, figs, dark chocolate, bananas.

Cinnamon

Essential Oils for Glaucoma

Frankincense oil has been demonstrated to improve eyesight, helichrysum oil improves vision and supports nerve tissue and cypress essential oil improve circulation which can improve glaucoma.  Apply 3 drops of any of these essential oils 2x daily on cheeks and lateral eye area but do not put directly into eyes.

Vitamins, etc. for eyes:

Lutein and vitamin E.

Zinc and B vitamins.

Eat in a way that you get abundance of Vitamin A, B, C, And E.

Research has shown that good nutrition works better to cure glaucoma naturally than drugs. In a study one group of patients got large doses of Vitamin A, B, C, and E as well as additional amounts of protein.  Most of these patients saw their eye pressure returned to normal limits within a week.

Limit caffeine intake to moderate levels, because some evidence suggests that high amounts of caffeine may increase eye pressure

Try to exercise daily by doing physical activities such as walking, swimming, or working in the yard.

Wearing a hat and sunglasses outside is suggested also.

Another tip was for anyone sitting in front of the computer for large amounts of time, take at least a 5 minute break from looking at the screen, each hour.

Above is just some of what can be found for dealing with glaucoma naturally. There are also some eye exercises you can do, which you can find on you-tube.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought carrot juice, (delicious mixed with apple cider with the good stuff still left in the juice), greens, a wonderful green smoothie drink that I love, filled gelatin caps with bilberry powder that I happened to have in the freezer. I already have some herbs and vitamins, but will take them more regularly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for dealing with Plantar fasciitis naturally.

Magnesium - Magnesium relaxes muscles, is a major building block for muscles and bones. It balances blood sugar, calms the body, improves mood, and helps with constipation.

B vitamins

Garlic caps

Vitamin C

Fish oil

If you look on you-tube, you will find all kinds of exercises, etc. for helping with this problem.

Get good supportive shoes and wear them.

Essential oils for massaging your feet – Frankincense, Helichrysum italicum, lemongrass, cistus and peppermint. I also use PanAway by Young Living essential oils.

----------------

Hope this is a help to any of you out there dealing with either of these problems.  Again, I stress the point that I am not a dr. Do your own research and pick what looks like it would work for you.

Love, hugs and best wishes and prayers for healtheir bodies ~ FlowerLady

 

 


20 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Sorry for your troubles..I had the Plantar thing a few years back ( one of my sons is going through it now ) and boy those sport insoles for shoes really help! :)

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I used to wrap my foot with wide elastic self stick bandage. Wrapped around the arch area over the top of the foot about three times over lifted my arch enough to take some of the pressure off of the plantar fascitis area and relieved some of the pain. Ultimately I ended up having to get a steroid shot in my foot. Since that time, years ago, anytime I feel a twinge in my foot starting in I do stretching exercises that the foot doctor showed me. The twinging stops and then after a while I forget to do the exercises. The Xray of my foot showed a huge bonespur on the bottom of my heel.

I hope that the remedies for your eyes and feet will help help you soon.

Darcie said...

Looks like you have really done your research! Its so much better to treat things naturally if we can. Hoping some of these remedies will bring you some relief.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Lorraine, I hope you can get relief from all this. There really are a lot of good things out there to treat some illnesses, we just have to look for them. Thank you for your kind words about my problem. I appreciate it so much. Have a wonderful weekend..Judy

Terra said...

I like how you did all this research. For me, when I had PF, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, those insoles you can buy in drug stores (Dr. Sholes or others) worked great for me. Plus now when buying shoes I always feel how cushiony the heel areas of shoes or sandals are. Clarks shoes and sandals are good in that respect. In addition, to give you hope, PF finally disappeared after about a year. You go girl!

Leslie Kimel said...

Thanks for sharing these great tips. I definitely believe that healthy food is the best medicine. I'm so excited about the long weekend coming up because I will have time to cook. Some "foods for eyes" will definitely be on my shopping list!

GretchenJoanna said...

A friend sent me a bottle of essential oil of frankincense for plantar fasciitis, to rub on my foot. It smelled SO good, I didn't care if it really helped. But it was about that time that it did start to get better, so who knows....

Cheryl said...

I think you are wise to research and become an educated patient...and to find out what you can do to help yourself. Of course, there are times when we need professional medical intervention, but, even then, it is better to be informed!

Praying for healthier days ahead!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Years ago we had an elderly friend that was diagnosed with cancer. She said she didn't want to undergo surgery or chemo at her age so she researched holistic remedies and how she should change her diet. She lived for 20+ more years. I know the holistic approach can be healing and I hope it works for you...it can't hurt!!
xx, Carol

Dewena said...

Thank you so much for doing this research and writing it here! I'm printing it out as my husband deals with eye problems and the same foot problem. He's wearing the foot brace again for it since it's flared up again but I also think the painting he's been doing lately hasn't helped, with climbing on ladders so much. I think that's irritating it.

I very much believe that the right nutrition helps.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I enjoyed this SO much since we are really 'into' good nutrition --done the NATURAL ways.... Magnesium is one of our favorites since it helps us in SO many different ways...

We also love TURMERIC (mix the spice--1 tsp with honey--1 tbsp) ---and it also is so good for us...

I hope you can see improvement in both your eyes and also your feet.

Hugs,
Betsy

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

A wonderful source of holistic remedies, coupled with great food helps the body so much. You've definitely done your research.
Sending healing thoughts and my best wishes, Lorraine.

gld said...

Good luck with the holistic remedies. I regularly take turmeric, have green tea but haven't been drinking it. Plan to add that to daily intake.

I will soon be adding B12 to replace the B complex I am now taking.

Glad to see that working in the yard.....usually it isn't listed as exercise.

Melanie said...

I am so with you on doing research for natural, holistic remedies for what ails us! Thank you for sharing your findings with us. I'm "only" 53 (54 in August), but I noticed last year that my eyesight wasn't very good at night, especially in the rain. And that the headlights of cars coming the other way almost blinded me. I started taking Lutein every day and my night vision improved and oncoming headlights no longer bother my eyes. :-)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Excellent post and research, Rainey! I'm a firm believer in natural aids and take enough vitamins to choke a baboon. I know we all have an expiration date; I'm just trying to live healthier until the end. Many years ago, I read Dr. Mindell's book on vitamins and determined what I needed. I think it's time to re-visit what I need as age has, probably, changed that as has research. Dr. M's book taught me a lot - don't take Vitamin C with milk as they cxl each other.
For eyes L-Lysine; take Red Yeast Rice with Co Q-10 to boost efficacy; Glucosamine Chondroitin for joints and Epsom salt baths to de-tox the body.
If it wasn't for Epsom salt baths and aspirin, my body would have given up long ago.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

RockWhisperer said...

Lorraine, here's a tip having to do with EO's and your eyes. Buy a pair of plastic goggles at the hardware -- the kind they sell for eye protection. Put the EO's around your eyes, but not in, and then put the goggles on. I got this tip from my friend Paula.

Also, using stairs is an excellent exercise for Plantar Faciaitis. It stretches and strengthens the tendon that connects the heel to the back of your leg.

Good luck to you, and good health, Dear Flowerlady.... Hugs xoxoxo

jerilanders said...

Avocado is a good food for the eyes, for the Lutein. I eat it every day.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I had plantar years ago and that was so painful....it took awhile to heal. I had it in the back of my heel and couldn't' even wear a sandal with a strap! I had eye problems I had two major eye bleeds, PVC's that left me with so many floaters that I no longer have clear vision. I hope you health issues become better and herbs are my go to for improving my health!

Karen said...

I love all the tips, Rainey, I will refer to them again and again. I hope your feet feel better very soon and your vision improves. I'm so very near-sighted and have had bouts of scintillating scotomas (lights flash, blind spot in central vision that lasts for about a half hour) so I know how worrisome anything to do with vision is. I'll check into the herbs and other remedies. Thank you, dear friend!

M.K. said...

My parents use Bilberry for my dad's eyesight, and evidently it helped a lot. I do soak my feet in epsom salts a lot. I hope you get relief for these conditions.