Friday, March 18, 2016

Getting rid of clutter inspiration

Hi Folks ~ Here we are moving into spring and what better time to think about ‘decluttering’ our lives.

I've been wanting to get rid of clutter in my life for quite some time now, especially since losing my dear husband. Stuff just isn't important. Living a peaceful life is. We were working on getting rid of stuff before he went to his heavenly home, and now that I’ve started to really come out of the widow’s fog, I’ve really wanted to continue what we started.

I saw this book online, “Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui” by Karen Kingston.

Part of this books' title caught my eye, "Free Yourself from Physical, Mental, Emotional, and Spiritual Clutter Forever".

This sounded like my kind of book.

I sent for the book and eagerly looked forward to reading it.

When I own a book, I like to underline thoughts that speak to me. While I'm not a follower of feng shui it is interesting and the following is my first underlining in this book. "Feng shui is the art of balancing and harmonizing the flow of natural energies in our surroundings to create beneficial effects in our lives."

Clutter does not make me feel balanced and in harmony. Just the opposite. I feel flustered when someone wants to come over, or drops in unannounced. I race around like a chicken with its' head cut off trying to make the place presentable, or if someone drops in unannounced, I make apologies for the way it looks.

This book really has lots of gems, or food for thought about clutter in our lives.

Here are some quotes:

"Clearing your clutter can completely transform your entire existence."

"Clutter drags your energy down and the longer you keep it, the more it will affect you.  When you get rid of everything that has no real meaning or significance for you, you feel lighter in body, mind, and spirit."

"Clearing the clutter allows the fresh winds of inspiration to enter your home and your life."

"When you let things go,  you either never need them again, or if you do, similar or better things will somehow turn up in your life at the right time."

"Clutter clearing in all its forms helps to restore clarity and simplicity."

------

I would recommend this book to anyone who needs encouragement and inspiration in the process of decluttering.  The quotes posted here are just a few of the gems in this book.

------

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.”

Have a wonderful weekend ~FlowerLady


 

20 comments:

Nancy J said...

Well, I have to laugh, as today I am giving to a dear friend some curtains, sheet sets, a single bed base to match the mattress I gave them a while ago, the headboard, and now I have a wonderful cupboard all empty ,ready to store the quilting fabrics. Hooray, shouted Hugh!!! For you, this is a huge step, go quietly and slowly, ponder, and then decide. The painting was fabulous.

Jane said...

Both my son and I are slightly OCD and clutter really upsets us. Every year I go through our house and get rid of stuff that we no longer need or want or love. It's true that you rarely miss it.

Hugs
Jane

Terra said...

I do like the idea of decluttering and have done so, but still have a huge amount to do. I think the author and you are right, that simplifying is good for every aspect of our life.

organicgardendreams said...

Dear Lorraine, decluttering is exactly what I need to do and admittedly I am having a hard with it. So maybe this book is just for me. I definitively will have a look. Thanks for the review!
Wishing you that your decluttering process is going well!
Warm regards,
Christina

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

I am so attacking my house this weekend and getting a bunch of unneeded stuff out.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Interesting how within along the same lines. I have recently been sorting and giving away and just getting rid of 'stuff'.I have lots more that could go and in time will.

Joy Junktion said...

Every couple of weeks I try to take 2-4 boxes of items to the goodwill. I think 'stuff' multiplies in my garage like mice - LOL!! I love clutter free living! Happy Birthday Week Rainey! Blessings, Cindy xo

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Sounds like you are on a good path here, Lorraine! You will feel better in your home when you free yourself from some of the clutter that burdens you!

Mrs. E said...

Spring is a great time to get rid of the clutter. I am doing the same.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, So glad you worked out your computer issues.. That is a BIG accomplishment.

Clutter can truly eat us up sometimes ---and even though neither George nor I are 'messy' people ---we do manage to get and keep alot of clutter around us...

I have been going through old clothes and giving them to our local Samaritan Center... I still have more to go --but I'm making progress. it DOES feel good.

Good Luck.
Hugs,
Betsy

Janice said...


Good for you Lorraine! I'm totally OCD, so clutter robs my surroundings of tranquility. I sometimes regret getting rid of something that I need further down the line, but on a whole, order works for me.

Melanie said...

I totally agree about the clutter. It is very true that having too much clutter around makes your head feel cluttered as well. Think when you go into homes that are neat and not too much stuff all over the place. Feels good, doesn't it? I have a friend that has stuff piled all over her house. She shops and piles her purchases on the couch; laundry baskets full of clothes in her living area; stuff piled all over her kitchen table. I have another friend who has knick knacks all over the place, to the point where it's overwhelming. I don't feel at ease in either house. Trust me, I love my "stuff" and have a lot of it myself (though I've been decluttering myself and donating). But I only keep out limited amounts in my decor and then change it out once in awhile so I can enjoy everything.

20 North Ora said...

Lorraine - I think I must order that book. I knew I had a lot of clutter and stuff but didn't realize until I started the moving process how much I actually had. Stuff I will never use, clothes I will never wear. So, I've been trying so hard to get rid of stuff.

Someone mentioned to me when John passed away about a widow's fog. I thought what a silly phrase, but now I truly know it is a real thing, So, I know what you mean.

Have a good week.

Judy

A Joyful Cottage said...

De-cluttering is an ongoing process for me. I do tend to hang onto things for which I "might find a use". I like the quote from the book: "When you let things go, you either never need them again, or if you do, similar or better things will somehow turn up in your life at the right time." This line alone is one I need to remember, for it's so true. I've let go of things that later I regret I did. . . and then I find something to replace it that I like even better. Happy de-cluttering, Rainey. Hugs, Nancy

jerilanders said...

Oh how true, clutter is a menace. I can't tell you how many boxes of clutter went to the Goodwill this week. Whenever I clean out the STUFF, I swear I will never buy anything else again. But there is a difference between clutter and a collection. The collections I will keep and pass on to another person one day. The clutter can go elsewhere, right now!

Marti said...

Clutter is such a monster around here but, like you, I am determined to win the battle. I read that book years ago but it didn't give me the concrete steps my brain needed to get the job done. But like you said, it inspires.

Jessica Jarrell said...

I love decluttering. I always feel amazing after getting rid of stuff and organizing. I just organized my photography prop closet and I feel so much better about it. I always feel flustered in chaotic, cluttered spaces as well. A clean space makes for a peaceful mind in my case :-)

Hope you had a great weekend FlowerLady!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lorraine, I have been trying to get rid of clutter, too, but it is slow going. Part of my problem is newspapers. I put articles aside to read later, but later does not always get here.

I'm glad to hear you are starting to heal from the loss of your husband.

Thanks for your comment on my post about Heidi. I am missing her more than I thought I would.

sweetbay said...

De-cluttering is a beautiful thing.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Gosh, Rainey...one woman's clutter is another woman's passion. My stuff has stories...almost every piece has a story and I am all about the story!
I'm calling my stuff 'inheritance' and letting the Beloved Sistah and her sons deal with it.
I'll never know.