Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Cameos and DH’s Gibson guitar

 

Hi Folks ~ I hope you all are enjoying cooler temps.  It is still very warm and humid down here in s.e. FL. It is 6:34 EST and 80 degrees. The big ‘low’ for tonight, 76. Fall isn’t quite here yet.  Although, it is much nicer than it was last month and all summer long. The rain is staying to the north of us though, which is a bummer.

Today my cameos, that I ordered last week, came in the mail.  They are made of lucite, so not the ‘real’ cameos. I have two real ones that we bought in a little shop in Florence, Italy in 1973, when we were touring Europe for 60 days before we came home. DH had been in the US Navy, stationed in Rota, Spain for three years and before coming home, we traveled by Eurail, with backpacks, canteens, the book ‘Europe on $5-$10 a day’, and some maps. We bought these two cameos, and I put them in my jewelry box when we got home and life went on, and I forgot about them so we didn’t do anything with them. Now my mind is clicking with ideas.

I got out the little box shown below.

10-27-cameos2

The largest one is a little over 3/4 of an inch. The small one is 1/2 inch.

10-27-cameos

I googled the name and address and they are still in business. They’ve been in business since 1868. WOW!

Here is a link to their website. G. Ugolini

Obviously, they sold unset cameos, and no doubt, that is what we could afford at the time, fresh out of the Navy, etc.

I got some pics taken from August of this year from Google maps. This from the store front.

10-27-Ugolini6

It looks like the lady is opening up in this photo.  Look how quiet the street is, amazing. Looking at the angle of the sun, maybe it is afternoon, after siesta time?

10-27-Ugolini5

10-27-Ugolini2

10-27-Ugolini3

See the bridge on the right below?  That bridge is famous and has lots of neat little shops hanging out over the water on both sides. I just did a google search on it and found this info on Wikipedia.

***

The Ponte Vecchio is a Medieval stone closed-spandrel segmental arch bridge over the Arno River, in Florence, Italy, noted for still having shops built along it. Butchers initially occupied the shops; the present tenants are jewelers, art dealers and souvenir sellers.  In fact, I think we bought these cameos from a little shop on this bridge, not in that larger shop, so maybe Ugolini sold in a space there too, since tourists flock this bridge. We were a couple of tourists having a great time.

10-27-Ugolini4

You can read about the bridge here.

Here’s a better picture from wikipedia.

Florence is a lovely old city and we were thrilled to be there. Two young people, 24-25, touring Europe, in 1973. The memories have been locked in our hearts since then. We went to nine countries on that trip, a trip of a life-time.

So, there you have another little part of our 43 years together.

Now here’s another little story about our life. DH played the electric guitar, he had a black, solid body Gibson that he played for years. As a teen he played the drums, bass guitar, and harmonica, in Spain he bought an acoustic guitar, and started playing to Bob Dylan albums and others. (Rock ‘n rollers at heart). His favorite group back then was the Rolling Stones. Our love of music grew together and he was a lead player and could play some good runs.  I enjoyed listening to him play with different albums through the years. Since he left this planet for his heavenly home, the guitar was just sitting in it’s case. I decided to give it to a young man who plays the electric guitar at the church I am attending. He was thrilled. He ordered classic knobs to the guitar’s year make, 1980, had it rewired and a couple other things, and played it for the first time in the church band this past Sunday. Him telling me what all he did to it and how much he liked it brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart.  I told him DH is glad he has it.

Here are pics I took Sunday morning. The band was short 2-3 members that morning but still good.

10-25-kyle-marks-gibson

10-25-kyle-marks-gibson3

***

OK, here are my lucite cameos, and one cabochon painted with flowers.

Also the little cluster of beads, are fresh water pearls. I got two of each of the cameos, except for getting 4 of the flamingos, and four of the small rose cameos, and 2 clusters of pearls. Aren’t they neat?

10-27-cameos

This is my latest bracelet that I’m working on.  First you make beaded netting, then the string of beaded leaves on vine, which is not fully tacked down yet. Then you make the little beaded roses, not tacked in place yet either, just there for showing. This will close by two snaps. I’m not sure I’ll use these pink roses, I have another bead in mind, and I want to make tiny flowers to add too.

10-27-ramblin-roses

A few of the commenters suggested looking at thrift stores and yard sales for beads, and I do that along with buying from my local shop, and online.

Well, that’s it for another glimpse into life here at Plum Cottage.

FlowerLady

30 comments:

Recycled Cottage & Garden said...

What fun it must have been to see those lovely parts of Europe. I'm sure you have many more wonderful memories of your journeys.

I really like your cameos you ordered, especially the kitty. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Janice said...


What a beautiful, interesting post. Memories like those are just priceless. As for your new cameos, I wouldn't be able to choose a favorite, they are all gorgeous.
It's so nice that your DH's guitar will be played, and enjoyed once again.
We were lucky enough to get rain showers throughout the day, here in Central Florida. Maybe you'll get some tomorrow.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am sure you will find some creative way to use those cameos.I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Annie said...

How wonderful that the music from your DH is going on to the next generation and being enjoyed. That was a great story.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

More beautiful beading!! So cool that you can see pics on the web of places you visited so long ago.

My grandson Ky began attending a Methodist teen youth group a few years ago. The youth leader taught him how to play bass. Then Ky began playing in the church band. Now he is the director of the elementary youth group. We have bought him various bass guitars when we found them at estate sales etc. I can tell you that the young man you have your husband's guitar to was so very happy and grateful to own it. It was the perfect thing to do with an instrument your husband loved. You ROCK...just like MY fav group...The Stones!! (A close second were the Animals)
xx, Carol

Connie in Hartwood said...

I love your story about giving your husband's guitar to the young man at church! I know that he loves the fact that his guitar is being used and played and that it will become part of another man's life. What a sweet thing for you to do!!

Jane said...

What nice memories. And what a kind and generous thing you did in giving that guitar to the young man. Old Gibson guitars are quite valuable and sought after by collectors. I remember when my sons got their first guitars how excited they were. It was like Christmas, their birthdays and 4th of July all rolled into one.

Hugs
Jane

Susan said...

The new cameos are neat and very unique. Will you use them in your jewelry making? How awesome that you have the 2 old cameos from Europe. They are beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. Hope you're getting some of the rain from Hurricane Patricia.

Gary said...

Such beautiful cameos Lorraine. I particularly like the third one on the top row. Florence is just about our favourite city. Several years ago we started a three week tour from Pisa in a tiny hire car. We camped and stayed in guest houses all the way to Rome and finally Capri. The BEST memories... a shame us four never met up eh? If we go again ( we have talked about next year) I will make a point of going to that shop. Thanks so much for this post.

Gary said...

Such beautiful cameos Lorraine. I particularly like the third one on the top row. Florence is just about our favourite city. Several years ago we started a three week tour from Pisa in a tiny hire car. We camped and stayed in guest houses all the way to Rome and finally Capri. The BEST memories... a shame us four never met up eh? If we go again ( we have talked about next year) I will make a point of going to that shop. Thanks so much for this post.

Rebecca said...

I'm not sure I'll ever get to Europe. I've dreamed about it, but it's not looking very promising....Glad you had the experience, the memories, and a few special items still in your possession.

How generous of you to give the guitar to the young man. I'm sure that was a HUGE encouragement to him!

It's turned very cold here - and wet - and windy! Sitting here covered with an afghan and thinking about getting up and making a cup of hot chocolate.

Leslie Kimel said...

Your travels around Europe sound so exciting and romantic. Do you have any pictures of yourselves on the trip? I love the old cameos and your new ones! Love the bracelet too. It must have been so much work to make the beaded netting!

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh my, that bracelet is just stunning. Beautiful work!
I loved hearing the story of you traveling about Europe together. Memories for a lifetime, I'm sure. And hearing how you gave your dear husband's guitar to the young man at church. What a courageous and generous gesture. I'm sure your husband is happy to see someone really enjoying and playing his guitar.
The cameos from Florence are beautiful.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Wonderful story of your time in Europe. Those cameos are beautiful. So glad you found a good home for your husbands bass guitar. Best for it to be played and enjoyed again. A beaded band for the beautiful beaded flowers. You just keep creating the most lovely pieces. So warm where you are. We have our first freeze tonight. Suppose to go to 30 degrees. We'll see in the morning how the last of the plants fair.

BeachGypsy said...

Oh those lovely cameos you brought back....what special treasures!

RockWhisperer said...

I'm always in awe of your artistic talent.

What a sweet thing to do with the guitar. You rock.

Hugs xoxoxo

Lona said...

What beautiful pieces you are and going to be creating. I love the cameos. They are old fashioned looking just like me. LOL! I hope you are enjoying the cooler temperatures of fall in your area. Take care and Hugs.

Terra said...

Those cameos are all lovely, especially the two you bought in Florence. My husband and I were in Florence at about the same time as you, and he played electric guitar then too, as did your husband. So we have some things in common FlowerLady :) How happy your dh must be in heaven seeing the guitar in use in church.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Lorraine, Such an interesting post. I love hearing about your young travels through Europe. Your photos are wonderful.
The cameos are very special and really beautiful. I have always loved them too and have a few handed down from my mother. I cherish them now dearly.

WOW I love your newest bracelet. Just a gorgeous design.
What a wonderful gift of your DH's guitar you gave the young church member. So nice that he already gave it some upgrades and it taking care of it well. That is really heart warming. I am sure your DH is looking down from Heaven and happy that the music will still come from his wonderful instrument.

Have a wonderful evening. xo

Deb J. in Utah said...

Such lovely memories for you! I love the cameos and the bracelet you are making! Have a good weekend.

Maryann said...

What fun you must have had traveling Europe for 60 days, I'll bet you have some wonderful memories. I have actually done some shopping on that bridge, we visited Florence several years ago when my son's orchestra was touring Italy. Florence was one of my favorite stops. I'll be interested in seeing what yo do with the cameos (I have a couple put away in a drawer myself) Thank you for your prayers, they mean a lot. Have a wonderful weekend

Jessica Jarrell said...

Italy is definitely on my bucket-list of places to travel, with Greece being right up there too! What amazing memories to have. That's so awesome about the guitar, they are meant to be played. I'm sure that meant a lot to that young man :)

Have a great weekend FlowerLady!

Kit said...

I loved the story about the guitar. You were so sweet. :) The cameos are lovely! Both real and your new ones. Kit

A Joyful Cottage said...

It's so neat that you gave the Gibson to that young man. It must make you feel so good to see him play it. Especially in praise of the Lord! I like to imagine you and hubby in your 20's touring Europe on a budget. Oh, it must have been wonderful. So romantic. The cameos you brought back are stunning. I wonder what you'll do with them? The new ones will be fun for you to use in your jewelry making. Can't wait to see what you come up with. xo ~ Nancy

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, loved your travelogue. I'm so glad Dave and I traveled; it brought us much closer together, especially in some of the countries we visited. We had to watch each other's backs.

Deb said...

Love the story of your time in Florence and those cameos are so pretty, Your new cameos are quite lovely. The beaded bracelet you are working on is stunning I can't wait to see the finish.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post - I just love hearing stories about you and your DH. Such wonderful memories you have, Rainey. Thanks for sharing. XXXX

KathyB. said...

I loved reading this bit of your history and especially appreciated the telling of your husband's love and talent playing guitar and your heart-felt generous gift of the guitar to a young man who obviously will be playing that beloved guitar for a long time. What better way to remember your husband's playing than to hear a young man play that same guitar on Sundays. Blessings for sure.

Diana Studer said...

about 40 years ago I can remember shopping at one of those jewellery shops on the Ponte Vecchio. Probably for a silver charm for my bracelet. Hmm I think I bought 2 shells??

Unknown said...

I so enjoyed reading this as I love to travel and I really believe that through those wonderful shared adventures you are blessed with a lifetime of beautiful memories. It was lovely that you were able to do this with your husband and can treasure those special moments. The story of passing on the guitar was really heartwarming and I am sure that young man will really treasure that possession for a long time. Gorgeous cameos too. Your handiwork is wonderful.

-Kate