Friday, May 1, 2015

WOW! Deliciously cool temps :-)

 

Good morning Friends ~ What a pleasant surprise when I just went out with coffee cup in hand to sit in the screened porch. It is 65 degrees F and feels like it is 62.  Now that is absolutely wonderful on this first day of May.

I am feeling so much better, more like my old self, that is nice too. Yesterday morning it was cloudy and there was a nice brisk cool breeze, so I decided to mow.  It took four tries with the cord before it started, and then I was off.  It felt so good, and I moved right along as it felt like it could rain at any minute, but it didn’t and I was thankful for that.  I still have a small section to mow, but my body was telling me I had done enough, and I needed a drink of water so I quit. I ordered the electric lawn mower  and it will be delivered to my local HD and I should be able to pick it up on Monday.  I am looking forward to using that. I used one many years ago and it was so much quieter and lighter to push around too. At this age, I need ‘easier’.

After that, I felt the need to get out. I had lost the two pink flowering manuka myrtles I bought back in Feb. I didn’t have the pots lifted off the patio surface and the pots filled with water and I didn’t notice until it was too late. Standing in a couple of inches of water, when these are drought resistant plants was just too much for them. So I visited to close nursery garden centers to see about replacements and what else they might have relatively cheap.

The replacement plants are thryallis. Yellow blooms and a sweet scent that do very well here in s.e. FL.

04-23-thryallis3

I did lift the pots up off the patio surface, I learned my lesson, the hard way.  I ‘hate’ to lose plants.

04-29-thryallis

The yellow ‘dancing lady’ orchids are about to fade away.  I have enjoyed them once again.  They are in the center pot with the ficus tree and Moses-in-the-bullrushes plants.

04-30-thryallis

The other plants I bought were two hibiscus, which also do very well down here in s.e. FL. I don’t know the name as this nursery does not put tags on their plants.

04-29-hibiscus

04-29-hibiscus2

I also bought 4 bags of potting soil. Time to make cuttings of different things for ‘free’ plants.

Below are some plants blooming in my gardens right now.

Tahitian Gardenia is ‘wonderful’ and the scent luscious of these great big blooms.

04-29-tahitian-gardenia

This is a ginger, I don’t know what type, got it at a yard sale awhile back. If anyone knows that ginger this is, please let me know.

04-29-ginger

04-29-ginger2

Here is another unknown plant.  It has really taken off since I bought it and I’m going to trim it for cuttings to root.  I think I already saw tiny roots on some of the stems. I have it hanging from a ‘shepherd’s crook’ underneath the Queen Crepe myrtle.

04-29-unkn

Here is a picture of the pretty blooms it gets. I think they only last a day so one has to be quick and catch a photo when you see them.

04-29-unkn2

Below is an old stand by that takes no effort on my part and it blooms every spring. I have two colors of amaryllis, one an orangey/red and then this striped one.

04-30-amaryllis

04-30-amaryllis2

This is a Vanda orchid, that grows ‘wild’ in my gardens. ‘Miss Joaquim’.

04-29-vanda

In these two photos she is held up against the latest ‘plum’ paint sample. I’m getting ready to buy the 5 gal. bucket so that I can start this house painting project, doing a little at a time. As I’ve said before, the paint looks different depending on the light of day.

04-30-vanda2

04-30-vanda4

This is another unknown rose growing in my main garden.

04-29-unkn

Some photos of the east side gardens.

04-29-east

I have two pots of coleus with white impatiens, sitting in the shell planter.  I need to take cuttings of the coleus.  They root very well in water. The tree in the  photo is my ‘Queen Crepe’, bought in 2007 for our 38th anniversary.

04-30-east2

This photo is from 2007. You can also see that our house color was definitely a plum/purple color back then.

image

Path in St. Frances garden overgrown.

04-30-east

Now for a bit of God’s creation taking care of things. I was outside and noticed buzzards/vultures flying pretty close and landing on the light pole and in the tree out front.  I decided to go out to the sidewalk to see what there was out there grabbing their attention. A dead possum. It sure doesn’t take them long to gather in for a ‘free’ meal.

04-30-road-kill

In the picture below there are at least 13 of these ugly birds. If you ever saw them up close, you would say they were ugly too.

04-30-buzzards

04-30-buzzards2

Here are more grouped on the neighbor’s roof.

04-30-buzzards3

04-30-buzzards4

To close this post I will show my bedroom on a cloudy afternoon.  I just love how the light shines in the stained glass. I have heavy curtains on the windows because of the orange bright street lights at night.

04-29-bdrm-afternoon

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

***

Home is a shelter from storms — all sorts of storms.

William J. Bennett

22 comments:

Nancy J said...

Beautiful flowers, the orchid against your plum coloured paint is delicate. And a gentle light through your window, a haven with the new cover on your bed, a delightful place to rest after mowing!!

Deb said...

Happy May Day to you, and thank you for the lovely photos of your garden, your flowers have been my inspiration not to give up on gardening in Florida. The weather has been lovely here in Ocala too.

Diana Studer said...

We share the white rose and the orange bright street lights - glaring in the window this evening as we wait for our curtains to be made up.
Your garden is full of delightful colour. And orchids!

Jane said...

Glad you are feeling better, Rainey! Your bedroom looks so cozy, I know I could get a good rest in it.

Hugs
Jane

Rebecca said...

Oh, my! I tapped on the photo of your bedroom and got a full-screen view It is SO peaceful (and interesting).

I love the more panoramic views of your yard/garden. ANd when my eyes first saw the caravan, I could almost see a face there--at least 2 eyes and a elongated nose!

Barbara said...

I love that plum paint so much. It would make me very happy to be around.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your bedroom - looks so cozy and restful. The stained glass window is great. Your flowers are, as always, just lovely. Hope your weather stays pleasant! Have a good weekend.

Julene said...

You have so many pretty flowers! The mystery plant looks like a type of fuchsia. There are many kinds but that is just a guess.
Those buzzards sure thought they had found something! Funny birds! The light in your bedroom is pretty!

lil red hen said...

Enjoyed it all, Rainey! I really like the yard art you have mixed in with your beautiful flowers. Sure will be nice to mow without so much work getting the mower started! The Farmer bought a battery powered weed wacker for me, but it's still not an easy job.

Joy Junktion said...

I love all of your flowers/plants. I finally got a few things planted this past week! I still have more to take care of but I'm working on it!
God has certainly created life to take care of itself. And yes, turkey vultures can be quite a sight!
Have a beautiful weekend! Blessings, Cindy

Dewena said...

I love your quote. Home is a shelter from storms and yours, and your garden, make me think of exactly that. As always, I love seeing your pictures.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Glad to hear that you are healing. I think an electric mower is a great choice.I have never liked the pull start,simply because I usually couldn't get the thing to start.I love seeing all the flowers and abundant growth at your place. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Pleasant weather, beautiful flowers and an electric mower - sounds like a wonderful combination Lorraine.

gld said...

I enjoyed the visit this morning.
Your bedroom is a delight.

We haven't set out on the porch yet this year, but the weather is now much warmer so maybe today.

Great shots of the vultures. I always wonder what is dead when I see them circling over the fields here. They serve a good purpose but you are right the are ugly birds!

Glad you got some new plants. They are very pretty.

Once I discovered the spray starter stuff, the pull-start things are much easier.
Enjoy the new mower.

Leslie Kimel said...

So glad you're feeling better. The electric mower sounds like a good idea. I just got a battery-powered weedeater and it has made my life so much easier! I could never start our old gas-powered weedeater.

It's so neat that you have orchids growing wild in your garden. Love the striped amaryllis!

Susan said...

The weather has been absolutely wonderful! I hope it hangs around for the week. I'm planning on buying a rechargeable mower when mine gives out. Is yours electric or rechargeable? I will enjoy not messing with gas and oil. I like the black and white combo in your shell planter and your hibiscus is a beauty!

hensintheorchard.blogspot.com said...

Glad you are feeling better. How lovely to have orchids growing wild in the garden. We have wild orchids growing by the Brook in the meadow, but look quite different from yours. Ours have very tiny flowers on a long spike. Have a nice week.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

oh you have so many lovely blooms there and I just love that last photo of your bedroom...the light in the photo is extraordinary! :)

As to mowing, I am so tired of it already, lol..every three days or so since we've had so much precipitation ! If I don't keep up it gets too thick and the mower keeps stalling out. This has been our weather pattern for three years now.

Then again I don't like drought and dry dead crispy grass mid-summer on, which was the weather pattern for years before that, either! :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Love you last comment
about home...
Pleased you are feeling better
and at the moment
my weather in high 80's.
Guess Winter is finally gone.
Please take care.
I miss so much being on my lawn tractor, much older then you
and think I need to stay off of it.

M.K. said...

Your sweet home is just lovely! The assortment of little buildings and all your garden plants give a calm, quiet feel. The orchid against the new paint is perfect! And your room shot reminded me of that pretty bedspread you bought. I hope you've been pleased with it. It sure looks pretty. The gardenia is my favorite of all those -- I love its scent, and the deep waxy blooms. Glad you had a cool morning! It's been nice here too - SO good to have a pleasant week or two between the cold of spring and the blistering heat of summer. Ahhhh!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Loved taking the tour of your gardens - and to have a 'wild' orchid is just pure enchantment! The hibiscus is a favorite of mine - love the 'ballerina' skirt petals! My Mother grew them in New England, but I have not tried them here in WA state. I hope the electric lawn mower makes things easier - I don't know how you got the other one started - I can't do mine! I am the 'painter' here, too, and doing it a little at a time is how it gets done! Vultures are very ugly, but so important...cleaning things up! Poor little possum :( Love the light in your pretty bedroom. Hope you have a blessed week, my Dear. Hugs xo Karen

suziqu's thread works said...

It must be wonderful seeing new life merging in your sweet garden at the moment.
Your amarayllis is such a pretty one like ours. Do you have the red one also?
That is just stunning!
I can only imagine the fragrance from that sweet Gardinia.
Your bedroom looks so serene with your quilted bedspread and gorgeous stained glass window - such a beautiful light on a dull day.
Hugs,
Suzy