Good morning Folks ~ Hurray, the trailer load of iron has been cashed in. My friend and her son came over Wed. morning, hooked up the trailer and off we went. I was shocked to learn that the weight of the iron loaded into the trailer was, 3,160 lbs. All of it loaded, except for two things which my friend’s son loaded that morning, by two ladies in their 60’s.
This was taken after she and I loaded on two different mornings. Between then (May) and Wed. I loaded in some other things and then her son loaded the last two things and there was no longer a path. This trailer has a hydraulic lift so it was GREAT for dumping the load at the scrap yard. My dear husband is thrilled I know, that I’ve made forward progress in getting rid of iron. We had started to do this before he became ill, and now this load is gone. YIPPEE! I now have an ID # at the scrap yard.
Here was the view with the trailer and a pile of iron I had moved from around the property for us to load. As I was doing this, I did keep out pieces that I think I might use later, or that were artistic to me. We used different pieces through the years of collecting this stuff curbside, DH just couldn’t stand to see stuff go to the landfill. He knew it had a cash value, either by us using it and not having to spend $ or turning it into the scrap yard for cash.
Here’s the view yesterday with my van back in its parking spot, and a container garden with roses and herbs, where the pile of iron had been. This is one of the sunniest areas for the roses at this time of year.
My plan yesterday morning was to get out the weed wacker to take care of high grass, etc. that had grown up in middle of the driveway and was covering concrete, but as I was looking at overgrowth in another area, another idea came to mind.
Overgrowth between two buildings, plus havoc wreaked by fighting raccoons the other night, when they had knocked off plastic gutters from where they had been stacked, were a mess to behold. Then I noticed (again) left-over pickets from our ‘curbside found’ picket fencing. I thought, hey, I need to get to those to make another small section of fencing. To do that I had to clear out weeds and restack the gutters, throwing some to the side to throw away.
Pickets back where arrow points to.
I scrounged up materials, posts, and cross pieces for fencing. Got out my favorite shovel to dig holes, and on the last hole, my shovel handle broke!!!! I’ve used this shovel for years and years and it was great. It’s actually a trench digging shovel, but just right for my purposes of planting plants, etc. In my stash of shovels, I found a shorter version and used it. This photo below was taken after supper last night, which by the way, was a Marie C. chicken pot pie. It was so nice to just pop it into the oven and eat. No fuss, no muss. DH and I both enjoyed these when I didn’t feel like cooking.
I was so sore when I got done I could hardly move. More work and clean up in that whole area between fencing and workshop needs to be done, all in good time. I am happy with my fun project yesterday.
I like being separated from the parking/storage area, this feels cozier. I’ll show more photos later.
Below is another area that needs working on. It’s on the west side of the workshop. I’d not been over there in awhile, and was shocked when I looked over there the other day. With all of the rain we had things just grew like crazy. I had gone over to this area to get a ladder…
and looking to the south saw this. YIKES!
That’s it for now. My stomach is growling.
Have a good day and a great weekend. The weather here yesterday was beautiful. One of the reasons I could do the work I did.