Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Another day, another T-storm

Here it is the middle of another week, and the first day of October. It is 5:55 p.m. EST, and I’ll see if I get this post finished and uploaded to my blog before the next thunderstorm happens.  I can hear the thunder to the west and the clouds are moving this way. The wind is picking up too. We already had one T-storm this afternoon, but thankfully it didn’t last long. We had one last night too and with all this rain, sidewalks and decks are getting slicker each day.  Once it lets up a bit I need to get out there with white vinegar and spray, spray, spray surfaces.  That stuff really works great, it just takes a brush on a stick, time and some elbow grease.

Here are some photos taken the last couple of days some from inside and some outside.

This is from inside my little creative space looking out onto the front patio.

09-29-front-patio2

09-29-front-patio3

This is the front patio, my window that I look out here from, is to the right.

09-29-front-patio

These are an unknown orchid given to me many years ago by customers where I work.

09-29-noid-orchids-doug

Yesterday I did a little work in the creative area in my bedroom.  I brought in a little desk lamp I found in the workshop, ran an extension cord under the rug over to this area and now I can see better what I am doing here. I can do finishing work here, get things ready to mail out, etc.

09-30-bedrm-craft-area

DH and I had a picture framing shop many, many, many years ago. I have a really great chopper that cuts two 45 degree angles at once. I have framing vices, etc. I even have picture frame molding. I just need to clear off the work benches and get rid of stuff I won’t be using, so that I can do this again.  DH told me before he left this planet that the work shop would be mine and to do with it what I wanted. Well, it’s not something I could hardly think about, much less do in the beginning, but with the passage of time, it has gotten easier and I can feel his encouragement. I look forward to working in there this fall/winter/spring when it is cooler.

Why I brought picture framing up is because I took a 10 cent ready made frame that I got at a yard sale in the spring, and cut a paper mat, not the dimensions it should be, but just to make this work in this frame.  DH did this pen and ink drawing of me soon after we came home from Spain and I found it going through things and it means a lot to me. I was into knitting back then and this old bentwood rocker we bought in Spain from an elderly lady who sold things from her home.  We also bought the wall clock in the above picture, from her too.

09-30-pen-ink-of-me

Today I was inspired by something DH had made for a small sterilite storage unit that didn’t have a top.

10-01-inspiration

These sterilite storage units are great, except for the tops, which aren’t really reinforced very well at all. The larger ones, with more of a surface, sag in the middle. Not nice at all. I remembered the top DH had made, and headed out to the workshop to see if I could find a piece of plywood that hopefully would be the right size or close to it.  See how the original top in photo below sags.

09-30-old-top

Well, here’s my shelf.  I even found the wood trim he used up in the rafters, cut three pieces, nailed them on then painted it all with some paint I found.

10-01-new-storage-unit-top

As a lot of you know, my life changed drastically 09 Dec. 2012. It has taken some getting used to. I miss my DH every single day, but the grieving has lessened, it does sneak up on me at times though. This morning I read a line on another widow’s blog ‘Widow’s Christian Place’, that really struck me. In fact, it was the title of her post today.  It is this: Functioning With A New Reality. Wow!  That is me for sure. Some days I function better than others. Worries about this, that or the other thing, pop up, especially in the middle of the night when there isn’t a darn thing you can do about them. Some things seem overwhelming, some things are rather simple. Each day is new and a gift, I can wallow in self-pity, or I can become a stronger, vibrant reflection of God’s grace and tender mercies. The latter is my desire. 

Anyway, each new day is really an adventure, and with God by my side I will make it in this journey of widowhood. There is much to learn, much beauty to take in, joy to share.

Here are my latest tubes of beads and I look forward to creating with them.

09-30-beads

Now, below is a picture of a mystery that I just noticed a couple of days ago. What the heck is this strange marking from? Well, a little while ago I figured out what the cause is.  It is from my foot being pressed up against the curved side of my desk. What a relief!

10-01-ankle

One day when my husband was ill, and I had just come home from work, he called out to me and said, “The verse of the day is, Cast all your care upon Him for He careth for you.”

Thank you dear husband for your encouraging words from God’s word even when you were so ill. I love you still, love you more than ever and miss you muchly, but your love and your words ring in my heart and mind, bringing me closer to God in my faith.

FlowerLady

26 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey, what in the world happened to your ankle?
Dave's always loved the verse, "this is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad". lovely memories, aren't they Rainey?
oh. just re-read (for the third time...I'm slow...) and know your ankle isn't injured.
thank God.

Ruth Hiebert said...

All your plants are flourishing.This whole grieving thing is hard.I find that just when I think I have a handle on life as it is now,I get hit with another punch of grief.So I cry a while and talk to God and then carry one.

Julie said...

I was wracking my brain to figure out what in the world caused the discoloration on your foot! Glad it was just pressure from your desk! Easy to remedy! Phew. My mind was coming up with other ideas...like ringworm, infection, etc. LOL.

Love your new frame and mat for your husbands pen and ink! Good job!!!

Thanks for the idea to use white vinegar on the cement outside. My Mom used to clean mine with bleach when I would be at work, but now she is gone, and I can't use bleach! I'm deadly allergic to it! I can't wait to try the vinegar!!!

God bless you!
Julie

Betty said...

Your flowers are so pretty and I love what you did to your work place. We still do not have rain and it is getting dry around here. Losing a loved one is hard, but you can only think of taking one day at a time. He will always be with you.

Nancy J said...

Dear Lorraine, your flowers, beading, stitcheries, and faith all give a clear picture of you, and DH would be so proud, you continue in your garden, stitching, photos, and blog, and for so many of us, you enrich our lives with your words. For me, with Hugh still having spinal pain and problems, your words comfort and support me, even though not meant maybe for me alone, but others who can accept them for themselves."your love and your words ring in my heart" a truly beautiful phrase. Hugs, XXX Jean.

Anonymous said...

Your reflection in the pen and ink drawing is like a piece of art within art.

I complained about how little rain we got in August . . . and then September doubled it's normal average ~ which was great. I'm just hoping October doesn't rain every single day now too . . . although the gardens love it.

I hope you have a wonderful week, FlowerLady.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Rainey, I love the clock on your work table. Is it antique?

Stephanie said...

My heart goes out to you, dear one, for it is never easy losing a loved one. The pain may lessen as the years go by, but there is still an ache of missing that special person. Thinking of you!

Your flowers are absolutely beautiful! I wish I could grow blossoms like that :) Have a wonderful day! Hugs

Sallysmom said...

Rainey, you are such an inspiration. You are very strong and Mark would be so proud of you.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love that verse your Sweetie called out to you... Thanks be to God for loving us and being there for and with us --and taking care of us...

Bet your yard/flowers LOVE all of that rain. We are just the opposite up here. We desperately need rain.. Everything is very very dry...

I love your clock. Does it still work? I have three old clocks in my home. They are have a beautiful striking sound... One was from George's family, one from mine, and one was a gift from a little German lady... Love my clocks.

Hugs,
Betsy

lil red hen said...

You are such an inspiration to all of us.

Love the view from your work room!

Balisha said...

You are so handy. You always seem to come up with a solution.
You seem to be having more rain than usual. I imagine it is humid after the rain. Your gardens must love that steamy heat.
Balisha

Maryann said...

The pen and ink drawing is beautiful, I am sure it is quite precious to you. You are such an encouragement, I know the time without your husband has had to be difficult, yet you continue to press on, glorifying our Lord in the process. hope you have a wonderful evening

Darcie said...

As I am reading your post, it is storming here...must be one of those stormy days. I LOVE the picture your husband did of you, what an absolute treasure! I can picture you there knitting and him drawing...so lovely.

M.K. said...

Isn't it wonderful that his words to YOU are still alive and you can hear them in your mind today? Wonderful. Glad you discovered the cause of that mark on the foot. My leg is hurting this evening -- a sharp, unexpected pain. Couldn't ride my bike :( It will be nice when it goes away.

Your new lid looks great! You are so good about going out in the shop, finding something, working on it ... and FINISHING it. Finishing is challenging!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Lorraine, I enjoyed seeing your place inside and out. I admire your creativity. Thanks for sharing the drawing. It is beautiful! Those stronger lids are awesome!

My dad died this summer, and a couple weeks later, my mom had to have her gall bladder taken out. It has taken her awhile to get some energy back, but she is just starting to. She is grieving, but not in the same way you are because she and my dad did not have a close relationship like you did with your DH.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh, blessings to you as you go through this journey. It's so evident how much love you and your dear husband shared, and so many wonderful memories. I love that drawing he did, and the beautiful clock on your workspace. Beautiful flowers too.

Rebecca said...

What wonderful words to echo in your heart/mind - to cherish and draw from.....

I love the view outside your creative area. The path is PERfect!

Glad you got the ankle mystery solved. I am keeping a close eye on some bruising on the leg my new knee was placed in. Since my blood is still thin, I bruise very, VERY easily...I've temporarily given up wondering where each one comes from.

I like your idea for making a more stable top for those plastic storage units. You're doing GREAT, Lorraine! All the skills you and your husband developed and practiced are working positively for you today.

Deb said...

You are truly uplifting to the spirit and an inspiration to all to keep going and be strong, a friend of mine was widowed recently and I have sent her a link to your blog in answer to her question whether it will get easier to go on.
Your garden is thriving beautifully and the pen and ink drawing quite pretty. I can't wait to see what unfolds from the lovely beads. Have a great weekend.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Oh, that orchid .... love it.

Kit said...

You are so clever! Love that you are surviving and flourishing. :) Love, Kit

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

You are a very active person, Lorraine. You always think of new things to do. I like this!
That drawing of yours is wonderful! Your DH was a very talented person.

Debra Howard said...

What a beautiful garden. Maybe someday our water situation will get better and I can get mine back into shape. Glad your ankle is ok. I was guessing a spider bite or something so the actual outcome is a relief.

Joy Junktion said...

Hi Lorraine, I absolutely love coming by to delight in your garden photos! The pen and ink your hubby did is great and I'm so glad you have it displayed! There are few tangible items that mean as much as our memories but that is a true treasure! Blessings for a great weekend, Cindy

Morning's Minion said...

Your post updates haven't been showing up on my 'dashboard' so decided I had better just come on over!
Picture framing is one of the many crafts I would like to have tried--so many interesting things to do and the things that we MUST do crowd them out. At this point in life I think I must be content to work with the materials and projects on hand.
You have such a variety of skills. I am wary of my husband's many power tools, a sander being the only one I've dared to use.

Cheryl said...

So nice to have you visit Thinking About Home and introduce yourself. Our grief becomes such a part of us, doesn't it? I have to think that it is not wasted if we are His children, that He uses it all for His glory.

I enjoyed nosing around your blog a bit and reading parts of your story. I will be sure to come back again...