Monday, September 22, 2014

It’s a new day, a new week

 

Good morning Friends ~ It is Monday morning, partly cloudy out at 20 til 9 a.m. EST. My feline alarm clock, Miss Tork, woke me up at 4 again this morning. I was ready once I saw what time it was. I have things I want to do today and hope to get most of them done.  I’ve already got a loaf of Coconut Milk Bread going in my bread machine.  It’s starting to smell good in here.  It is made with canned coconut milk, a very easy recipe.  I looked up my recipe for Ricotta Pound cake and plan to make that this morning. I want to make Moussaka too today.

I’m on a vacation from work for the next 2-3 weeks as my boss just about emptied the shop. He loaded and took a truck to the huge antique show out in Round Top, Texas.  He goes twice a year.

So, I’ve made up a list of goals for this time off. One of the goals I have is to get some pieces listed in my Etsy shop. I’ve not had anything in there in months.

Yesterday we had another thunderstorm which dumped LOTS of rain again.

This photo is looking out from the kitchen’s screened porch, drive way like a river to the right of the shed.

09-22-rain

This is looking out the north ‘scullery’ window.

09-22-rain-4

This is looking out the west ‘scullery’ window into the ‘cat-rium’.

09-22-rain-3

This is looking west out of the bedroom window into main garden. Look at the water pouring out of the rain-barrels’ overflow. When the rain let up a bit I went out and reconnected the drain so that it would go elsewhere in the garden.

09-22-rain-2

I am standing in the driveway here, the ‘secret garden’ gate is standing open. This is on the east side of the cottage.

09-22-east-2

You can see the caravan behind the red bench, this is looking northwest.

09-21-secretgarden

I’m on the path now looking east. You can see my little wash-house/storage behind the birdbath. From under the awning there you can walk under an arbor out to the clothesline area.

09-22-secret-garden2

This is one of two matching tiled cement benches that DH found many years ago.

09-22-bench

Walking around the bench, you come to the ‘caravan’.  I bought 5 bags of potting soil the other day. I stacked them, then covered them from the expected rain.

09-22-caravan2

This photo is looking east and you can see the rising sunlight through the trees separating us from the apt. complex next door. The DIY arbor is being filled up with Confederate Jasmine and for now Moonflower vine too.

09-22-caravan

Here is the other DIY arbor that goes into the clothesline garden area. This arbor has blue pea vines, moon flower and passion flower vines growing up and over it.

09-22-clothesline-arbor

Two more angles.

09-22-clothesline-arbor2

09-22-clothesline-garden

Keep walking to the left of the above picture and you’ll be in the driveway heading south. DH found the street sign many years ago, we decided to put it on my shed.

09-22-driveway

09-22-east

This is another overgrown/weedy area at the front southwest corner of main garden. The road is running behind the left ‘faux bois’ chair, and behind the right chair is our neighbors’ driveway. The chairs are just two of eight that our friends who have an antique shop next to where I work gave us many years ago.  They were going to pitch them as they are falling apart, but suckers that DH and I were we loaded and brought them home.  They are heavy, being made out of concrete. They had these shipped from France. (Faux bois (from the French for false wood) refers to the artistic imitation of wood or wood grains in various media. The craft has roots in the Renaissance with trompe-l'œil.)

09-23-front-sw-corner

This is the front patio looking northwest. This wall is the front wall of my little 6’x8’ creative space, off the living room.  That is a door, but we chose not to use it. The iron piece in front of the window has mint on the bottom shelf, and baby roses and a wonderful lavender that does very well down here in tropical FL. It is Lavendula Pinnata or Jagged Lavender. It smells wonderful but the flowers are not edible. (I hope to paint the house this fall/winter when the weather is cooler.)

09-22-front-patio3

The next two photos are of the front patio coming from the west side. The gate at the back of the second photo opens up to the driveway.

09-22-front-patio

09-22-front-patio2

Ok, that’s it for another tour around Plum Cottage.

Here are two last photos. I crocheted a beaded edging for this heart and sewed it on.

09-20-purp-fl-heart

My latest creation was very enjoyable. I really like how the beaded edging looks like lace.

09-22-hope

Have a good week, wherever you are, whatever you are doing.

Learn and grow.

Live, love, laugh.

Thrive.

FlowerLady

***

“Write it.
Shoot it.
Publish it.
Crochet it,
sauté it,
whatever.
MAKE.”

Joss Whedon

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tour of your garden ~ thanks for sharing, FlowerLady.

Have a wonderful week (enjoy your time off!)

Hugs,

eli

Sallysmom said...

Love your last creation with the word hope on it. So very, very pretty.

Jean Campbell said...

It's always a joy to visit through your photos, Rainey. The Caravan is still my favorite because of its history and seeing it made into a garden feature.

Your needlework is always exquisite.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sounds like you have a busy few weeks ahead of you.Hope you enjoy that extra time at home to get things done.

lil red hen said...

This is truly "Home Sweet Home"!
I love the picket fence!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Thanks for the tour. Everything got washed well with all that rain. It is also a new season. Autumn begins this evening!

Unknown said...

Lorraine,
I was just wondering if you sell your hearts in your etsy shop? I love the embroidery you did on this one- so pretty :-)
Teresa

Julie said...

Looks like a huge estate to take care of! Heavens! You are a wonder woman!!! This rain has been crazy! I have come down with a miserable cold since our trip. The rain hasn't been too bad since I am stuck inside anyway! Of course our plants and lawns are soooo happy! Love all your stitching! Hope you have a wonderful few weeks off! Pretty cool!
xoxo- Julie

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

I enjoyed the tour of your home and garden. So cozy and inviting. I love the tropical look and how green it is! You have so many flowers in bloom and what a nice heart pillow, I like the one that say 'hope' and the colors are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this inspiring post.

Karen said...

Rainey, I loved strolling through your magnificent gardens this morning. I bet your bread turned out fantastic, I can almost smell it from here. We have some street signs in the garden too, I just picked them up at an antique store the other day. I don't quite know where to put them, but I love your 'Plum Tree Road'.

Always and ever thinking of you, dear friend. Hugs and prayers.

Stephanie said...

Your garden is so lovely! And the rain looks quite refreshing :)

Also, your two hearts at the end of the post are simply beautiful! You are very talented.

Hugs to you!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love all you create...
Your little world is beautiful.
Hard work
this knows much about it.
Take care
over the next weeks.
So beautiful here by the woods
cool mornings - like 50
and so pleased
some of my energy has returned.
My son keeps writing and saying
"please be careful" :)

gld said...

I enjoyed the tour this morning! Your needlework is beautiful.

Enjoy this time off from work and don't forget to just take some time to enjoy your beautiful Plum Cottage.

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh it's so lovely to hear from you Lorraine. Thank you so much for the garden tour, rain and all, from all angles. It is just like fairyland, sweet and embracing you.
I too am working on items for my Etsy finally now that I can create again!
Hugs,
Suzy

Joy Junktion said...

I always enjoy your photos of your beautiful flowers, gardens and the grounds around your home. It's also so nice to see pieces that you have created with needlework and the like. You are a multi talented woman and I'm glad to have the opportunity to see your work. Blessings, Cindy

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

You have a lovely garden. I hope by now the sun has come out. I like your pillow very much. Your creations are very pretty.
You are a very talented person.

KathyB. said...

Everything is so lush & green and your whole place seems to be a 'Secret Garden' with so many unique treasures tucked into hide-aways. Very creative and cozy. Thank-you for the tour, what a lovely haven your home is.

Susan said...

We finally got some rain today. 5 inches in about 3 hours. Your late summer garden is looking so lush.

M.K. said...

Both those hearts are delightful. I esp. like the first, the pin cushion. So pretty. I'm enjoying all the photos of your house/garden area, but my mind is a muddle trying to make any sense of where anything really IS. I think you'd have to draw a map and put it on here - haha! But it's pretty. You'd dislike my yard -- too barren, and not very creative or lush. Yours is so gorgeous. You've really made it your own!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I love your place, inside and out!