Saturday, November 2, 2013

Today’s Goodies

 

During the week I saw a sign out for a local indoor flea market just two blocks away. It opened at 8 this morning, I went over around 8:30. It wasn’t as crowded as the last time we went this past January,  I walked around a couple of times, then came home.

I found 2 pair of nice, almost new sandals, a 3 strand necklace of abalone shells, a crocheted shawl, 3 mini frames, 2 are silver plated. I also bought a fresh, homemade loaf of Finnish coffee cake.

11-02-finnish-club

These are both tarnished so made me think they were either sterling or silver plate. When I got home and took the backs off, I found no markings, but the underside of the frames were shiny as they have been protected.  I’ll use all three frames for miniature needle works.

11-02-finnish-club2

There were 130 shells  on the necklace and then two round flat shells as part of the pierced earrings. (I don’t have pierced ears.) Abalone is so pretty.

11-02-finnish-club6

This is a lined crocheted shawl. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. Then I asked the price ~ $3.  I didn’t even try to get a better deal, as it already was a deal. I love it.

11-02-finnish-club3

11-02-finnish-club4

Do I look happy?

11-02-finnish-club5

On the way to work, I stopped at a yard sale.  These pots had $10 each on them, then another sticker saying $5, I asked her how much if I took them all and she said $10. They are good sizes for $2.50 each. Her husband loaded them into the van for me.

11-02-curb-side2

They are 17” across x 15”, 16” across x 12”, 15” across x 12 1/2”, and 14” across x 12”. 

She threw in the little one.

11-02-yard-sale

I happily went on to work and was content with my finds this morning.

On the way home from work, I was at first going to go one way, but decided to go another way and when I saw this piece below, I knew ‘why’ and I also knew ‘Who’ worked it out that I went that way.  Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and I got this 6’3” x 17”deep x 24” wide piece into my van myself. Some scratches, some prayers, and a thumping heart got it in. Sheesh, that was a bit rough, but I did it and am so happy with my find.  It has three shelves behind the glass door, and two drawers on the bottom.  This will go in my bedroom. It’s very well made and I’ll take better photos once it’s in the room. I will wait for B-I-L to help me with that, when he comes down to work on water pipe. I had a big grin on my face all the way home and thankfulness in my heart to God for this freebie and the rest of the goodies I got this week. I love having the van. I miss my ‘partner in curbside shopping’ though, very much. We would be laughing and thankful for it, just as we always were.  It would have been much easier getting it in the van, and we would have taken a larger piece that was there too. But, alas, there was just lil’ ol’ me and this was the piece that really caught my eye, so all I needed.  I’ve been ‘curbside shopping’ too long to stop now. I do have to be careful though with how big and how heavy things might be.

11-02-curb-side

These three beauties were on the desk from my boss when I went to work yesterday. His tree is loaded and he said there are plenty more.  Avocado bread and guacamole are waiting to be made when these are ripe.  You put them in a brown paper bag to ripen.  Works great.

11-02-avocados

Time changes back tonight and I’ll surely be messed up for a few days, always happens.

I hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow and a great week.

For what started out to be a pretty ‘down’ beginning of the week, it sure turned into a blessed one.  I am thankful.

Thank you again for all of your kind words, prayers, love and encouragement.

FlowerLady

15 comments:

Kit said...

You look so lovely with your shawl. Glad you found some treasures. :) Love, Kit

Morning's Minion said...

Wonderful prizes from your neighborhood shopping--and you do look happy!

Nancy J said...

I cannot but smile at your "bargains" and what a great piece of furniture. That shawl, comforting all by itself, and many hours of fine handwork. You are a true beauty. Daylight saving, I have always struggled to get back to what is a "normal" time frame, specially when we both went to work, now it doesn't seem to matter so much. other than at the same time it is either darker or lighter, and no matter what experts say "Daylight Saving" !!! It cannot be saved, merely moved form one end of the day to another. Greetings, Jean.

RockWhisperer said...

What a haul! Great stuff and you look so pretty in that shawl. Those shoes don't look like they've ever been worn.

Yeah, I think I know WHO.

I am so looking forward to getting to go garagin' again! Haven't been in what feels like ages. I may hold one myself some weekend yet. I have to do it when there's not much competition because otherwise people don't bother to drive out here. I get the folks that are going by on the highway, but a bigger crowd when everybody and their dog is not throwing garage sales in town.

Hugs, Ilene XOXOXO

Sunray Gardens said...

What a productive week. Sure was good to you with all the great finds you obtained.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Sandy said...

Yes, you do look happy and so beautiful. And I am delighted at the wonderful finds The Lord blessed you with, especially the cabinet.
Love,
Sandy

Betty said...

It looks like you did very well. The shawl was meant for you and you look very good in it. I grew up with curbside shopping with my parents.

Leslie Kimel said...

The shawl looks so pretty on you. What a treasure!

Unknown said...

I love curbside shopping, but I'm running out of room for re-fabbed stuff!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh my
such wonderful buys you found.
I have always loved to curbside
shop but at present try not too :)
As still on a journey of simplification, want less in this cottage and passing some on to my daughter.
Have a wonderful day...

Jane said...

Yes, you do look happy, dear Rainey! What fun! It always amazes me at what you find on the curbside.

HolleyGarden said...

I hate when the time changes, too. LOVE the crocheted shawl! You do look happy in it, too. It looks nice on you. You got some great deals.

Balisha said...

So many bargains. You do such pretty crafts...I'm sure they will be put to good use. Love the picture of you in your shawl.
Balisha

Skeeter said...

Oh my, what bargains and free finds! Since I read your posts out of order of you writing them, I now see where the jewels came from to make the felt hearts! The shawl is beautiful and you do look so happy wearing it! My mom recently gave me some of the crochet doilies we had at the old farmhouse while I was a child. I am not sure who made them but surely someone in my family tree. That cabinet looks to be solid Oak! You had better be careful moving such heavy things as you may throw out your back! Yikes, but a great find and I would have been grabbing it as well... Such Treasures you have found...

sharon said...

way to go on the bookcase...I love those avocados.yes you do look better..im glad you are embracing other widow friends...