Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Flowers galore

 

Good afternoon dear Friends ~ It is a few minutes after 4 p.m. EST in s.e. FL. The skies are dark to the south, and thunder is rumbling in the distance.  Monday morning we had heavy rains with flooding in some areas getting over 5 inches of rain, then in the middle of the night we had a slow moving thunderstorm with torrential rains which brought more rain.  I prayed and read for awhile, waiting for the storm to pass over, finally it did and all was quiet again.

My heart goes out to all who have lost family, loved ones, homes and businesses with these tornadoes that ripped through their area. The pictures and videos are heart breaking. May God be with these people as they go about rebuilding their lives, and continuing on, even with heartbreak. Rough times are ahead, especially with the grief and the missing of loved ones.

It is devastation like we are seeing from these storms that make me appreciate so much, even with my own loss, as, I haven’t lost everything.         I am thankful for our little haven.

***

Below are some of the flowers from the last couple of days.

Spiderwort, with Borderer in the background. Spiderwort is so ‘easy’ to grow.  Some consider it a weed and a nuisance. Not me.

05-21-spiderwort

This is Thryallis.  A wonderful shrub that gets pretty large.  I saw it at the botanical gardens and their specimen is huge. The flowers sweetly scent the air. Mine is in a pot right now.

05-21-thryallis

Whirling butterflies.

05-21-whirling-butterflies

Here is the morning glory bush cutting in the early morning in the scullery window. It’s barely light outside. I like how the light from the overhead light is shining down on the blooms. (By the way, nice roots formed on this so I planted it in a pot today.)

05-21-mg-bush

05-21-mg-bush2

Here it is a few hours later with the bright outdoor light behind. This is more the true color.

05-21-mg-bush3

This is the wonderfully scented unknown lavender rose I bought recently.

05-21-lavender-rose

05-22-lavender-rose

Here it is on the left, with the McCartney rose on the right.

05-21-lav-mc

05-21-lav-mc2

05-21-lav-mc3

05-21-lav-mc4

This little sweetie is ‘Kathleen’ one of my very favorites and bought many, many years ago. She has a delicate sweet scent.

05-22-kathleen

05-22-kathleen2

05-22-kathleen3

05-22-kathleen4

05-22-kathleen5

Here is ‘Borderer’.

05-21-borderer

05-21-borderer2

An early morning view in the scullery.  This is what I come out to when I make coffee in the mornings, sometimes it’s darker out and sometimes lighter, depending on when I wake up.  This part of our kitchen is a dream come true and I love it. We took out a wall between the kitchen and the utility room and renamed that new space the ‘scullery’, definition~ a place where dishes are washed and food is stored. As an aside, DH worked in the Navy scullery when he was in boot camp in 1969, washing dishes.  He also voluntarily washed dishes in our scullery too.

I wash dishes looking out into the ‘secret garden’, pure delight.  Thank you dear husband for your skills in making this dream become a reality, and in all the other dreams we built around here. I enjoyed being your ‘helper’ all through our years together and this project was one of my very favorites. It made our cottage seem so much bigger.

05-21-scul-window

Look at the sweet reflection in the window.

05-21-love-birds

 

05-21-love

is Forever

FlowerLady

05-21-morning

Thy mercy,
O LORD,
is in the heavens;
and thy faithfulness
reacheth unto the clouds.
Psa_36:5

29 comments:

Nancy J said...

Beautiful photos Lorraine, and your morning view would uplift your heart always. i do like your photo framing, do you use Picasa? Photoshop? Gimp?or something else?Yes, my heartfelt thoughts to all in the stricken areas. Lives shattered, loved ones gone, pieces to pick up and start again. I too am so thankful for all we have here.Fondest greetings, Jean.

Karen said...

Love all the beautiful flowers, Rainey. The scullery is an amazing space and one that we are contemplating creating in the near/distant future by also removing a wall. Just the addition of a few feet can make a room so much larger. Someday we'll get around to remodeling our hut.

I too am saddened by all the destruction from the storms. We have been very, very lucky so far. Hope your foot is feeling better!

Sunray Gardens said...

You have so many pretty blooms right now. Always so much to choose from. We are getting ready to get rain too with thunder in the distance too.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Leslie Kimel said...

I love the scullery and all the wonderful little treasures you've arranged there.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your flowers are so beautiful.I am so happy that you have all those precious memories.Memories are often what takes me through a hard day,together with the strength God gives.

lil red hen said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I have spiderwort growing everywhere! For a long time I tried to get rid of it, but gave up, realizing it was colorful and bloomed when nothing else could.

Julie said...

Beautiful blooms, and photos! You do such a great job with your blog! Always a pleasure to come by!!!

Farida said...

These are great photos despite the rain. We heard the massive destruction and my prayers are with them. Take care! :)

Gary said...

Hi Lorraine,
You really do have some beautiful flowers in your garden, and also you are pretty handy with the old camera as well, lovely pictures.
We in the UK have news reports all the time about the awful loss of life etc from the tornados, so tragic. Glad you are safe though.

flowerlady said...

As usual lovely photos, I do love that lavender rose,I have one a similar colour but it is no where near flowering yet.All your blooms are lovely,there is me putting all leaves on my post.Lovely to see inside your lovely cottage again.

gld said...

Your photos are becoming very professional! The blooms are beautiful.

How wise you both were to 'create' the scullery window view. We do spend a lot of our indoor time in front of these windows....

Mine is the hummingbird bed.

BernieH said...

Lots of lovely blooms on show again! I really love that lavender Rose. Your early morning view out the scullery window is quite lovely. We've been watching the events unfold on the news over here and it was horrible to see the devastation left behind after the storms.

Annie said...

Oh I LOVE Kathleen...I may have to look for one of those in my neck of the woods

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, Beautiful post and gorgeous flowers. I love the colors in your Morning Glory.. Beautiful. And the Whirling Butterfly is appropriately named...

We've had about 6 inches of rain since Sat... More to come today (they say)....

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. Prayers for Oklahoma

Susan said...

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous, and you definitely do have flowers galore in your garden. So many beautiful colors. We have enjoyed some nice rain up here which is helping us get through May. Hope it continues!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Beautiful flowers, gorgeous scullery and what a heartfelt post.
Yes we must all remember to be thankful and count our blessings for what we have not lost.
Hugs Lorraine
xx

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Always
such beauty
I always feel as
though I have made a visit
to a special retreat
when I check in...

Morning's Minion said...

You can't imagine how soothing I find it to stop for a few moments and scroll back and forth through your lovely photos. The roses, in particular, are exquisite.
I believe I have spiderwort here and there in this dooryard--several things that I still haven't named.

Sandra said...

Beautiful, it's like your flowers just get more and more beautiful with each passing day. Love your pictures :)

My husband's uncle and aunt live in Moore, Oklahoma and were just a mile of where the tornado went through. It's so scary and the devastation is horrible :(

Hope you're having a good day and thank you for your kind words on my blog.
Hugs,
Sandra

Gardening with Juanita said...

Your unknown rose looks a lot like my rose I call the frog rose. Mine has a wonderful fragrance. Most lavender roses do.

Andrea said...

Hello Lorraine, i hope you are fine in everything, i can't come here everytime. I can see a lot of your plants are keeping you happy and contented, and they seem to be rejoicing fully. This is the first time for me to read and see thryallis, very new for me and marvellous. Continue enjoying life and God bless, take care!

tina said...

Such a nice post! And wow on the clouds!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Love your close up photos! Those pink roses are so sweet.

June said...

Your garden blooms are just so beautiful Lorraine. What a joy it must be to live in your part of the country! I can feel the gratitude in your heart as I read this post.
My heart is also heavy for those who have lost so much in the latest storms and pray for them.
sending hugs...

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beauty surrounds you.
I feel that way here by the woods
and my garden. Today the beauty is beyond description and so peaceful
Put 10 quarts of strawberries in the freezer, made a strawberry pie and salmon croquetts and worked outside. At the moment weary but so thankful and ready whenever the Lord wants me...

Masha said...

Lovely lovely flowers in your garden, Lorraine, Kathleen is especially pretty with those big stamens. You are right, each of us has so much to be grateful for.

Here I Am Carrie said...

You have so many flowers and you have captured them so well to share. A house is not a home unless there is a window to the flower beds. I could not imagine not being able to view my flowers from inside. Their blooms do make you smile. I am so glad you have these flowers in your life right not. May you be surrounded by them all summer long. I so love the creativity of you header. You see those special detail that so many others fail to see. Have a wonderful week.

sweetbay said...

I always enjoy seeing your Katheen and Borderer, so lovely!

It is terrible how these storms can come out of nowhere and tear people's lives to shreds. I think it's a miracle more people weren't lost.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Your flowers and the photographs that you take of them are beautiful. The embroidery and handwork you do is gorgeous, too.

I am happy to have found your blog.