Thursday, December 13, 2012

The caravan

Work stopped on this little project 4 months ago, and now it is up to me to do my best to finish off the inside. We had so much fun with this, taking a real piece of junk and turning it into a little jewel. 

This will be something fun to work on and I will learn new things along the way.  I have helped DH a lot through the years with the various construction/building projects, so basically know how to use some of the smaller power tools. I know how to use a tape measure, a hand saw, other stuff too. I need to read the directions for hooking up the two little lights in the ceiling and try that after I turn the power off to the caravan. I’m in no real hurry. I will feels DH’s love and his encouragement from a distance. I’ll hear his voice in my head about doing things I’m sure too.

12-12-a

One day I took a little sentimental piece from our bedroom and put it in the caravan for the day when he would resume work. Little did I know that that wasn’t going to happen.  But this little piece will stay in this space.  You can see it sitting on the window ledge.

12-12-b

12-12-our-time

12-12-our-time2

12-12-c

Below you will see two rugs that I pulled out of our stash of ‘stuff’. I need to gently wash them, and the floral one needs some stitching done in a couple of places. I want to make this space sort of gypsyish/tropical FlowerLady style.

You can see a one x two clamped to the counter top, which is holding it up. I’ve got to figure out how to make a support leg underneath, either at an angle like we were going to do, or straight up and down. All in good time. There are a couple of lady DIY’ers blogs than I can visit for inspiration. We were almost done with this project. It probably would have been completed by now if he hadn’t fallen ill.

12-12-d

I’ll basically be posting about my grieving process in my new blog, if any care to follow over there, here is the link: The Continuing Journey.

Thanks again for all of your love and support over the past few days. Priceless to me.

FlowerLady Lorraine

***

When it comes to life

the critical thing is

whether you take things for granted

or take them with gratitude.

G.K. Chesterton

21 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

You'll get to the finishing of the caravan when you are ready. Not much left to do and you will find a way.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Annie said...

Love your little gypsy hide away. It will be a wonderful project to keep you busy.

Leslie Kimel said...

How neat! What a cozy little place . . . with stained glass and everything! Do you read the Aspiring Homemaker blog? If not, you should check it out. Her family has created a similar little hideaway.

F Cameron said...

I remember your exciting post when your dear husband got the caravan for your garden retreat. Already, it looks welcoming and spending time there to continue the project will hopefully bring you comfort and joy.

Hugs,
Freda

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine, I love your sentimental piece.. its precious and priceless.

Heading over to your new blog to follow..
Take care :)

Susan said...

Your little ceramic piece was just perfect for adding to the caravan. I look forward to seeing it when you're done.

denimflyz said...

Please continue as you feel the spirit to do so. There will be days that you will not feel the spirit, but those days I wish for you to get to this blog or the other, and please reach out, we'l be there.
Love,hugs, and blessings upon you, my dearest friend.

Lynn said...

The perfect ceramic couple for the perfect place. You are so close to having the retreat finished. A few nuts and bolts and then you are on to lavish true flower lady trappings. All manner of phrases spring to mind ~ a room with a view, a room of one’s own . . . Peace.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Moment by moment
One day at a time
It will all fall into place.
Love this little retreat
would love to have something
like that in my woods.
Peace sent your way...

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I think you're an amazing woman and I know why DH loved you so much, FL! Truly an inspiration to us all. Keep moving forward. With positive energy flowing from the still balmy North to you! xxoo Nancy & The Herbal Husband

Morning's Minion said...

I've found that having something to do with my hands--making or mending--goes well with pondering and remembering--a bit like weeding the garden--a good time to send up little prayers and thoughts.

Mrs. Mac said...

This is a wonderful project. Is it non mobile?

Unknown said...

This looks like a wonderful project. It's going to be so cute when you finish it.

Jane said...

I'm so glad you are continuing on with your little caravan. Hope it becomes a place to go to have happy memories. If you have any technical questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me. As you know Ran is quite a DIYer and can help with most things. Sending you a hug!

MandaBurms FarmStay for Cats. said...

Love Love Love the stain glass windowws. Yes I am sure your dh will be watching over your shoulder as you finish off the caravan. And then be with you on your travels.
I'll look forward to seeing your progress.
With love leanne

Gayle said...

I'm glad that you are going to finish the caravan. It was something of love the two of you were building and I'm sure you'll feel DH with you when you are out there.

Rebecca said...

I am SO excited for you. I will follow the progress with pleasure and interest :)

(I just told my husband that we should take a week and come help you finish it!

I'm going over to your other blog now. I hold you in my prayers. May the comfort and peace of God's Holy Spirit surround and strengthen you constantly ♥

NickiLee said...

Hi Lorraine,
My apologies for being MIA for so long. Something was telling me to check in with your Blog today for more reasons than to check out your beautiful flowers. I am so terribly sorry to hear about your dear husband's passing. I wish I could wrap my arms around you and take away the heart ache.

I know it will be hard for you but you need to continue working on your little dream caravan as he would want you to and be so proud.

Cherish your memories.

With lots of hugs, loves and prayers for you.
Nicki Lee

Karen said...

Lorraine, I've been reading both of your blogs. My eyes well up with tears at the thought of the little couple statue so lovingly placed for DH to discover when he resumed construction on the caravan. I know what this precious space meant to you both and the amount of hard work that has gone into it.

You say you are not brave, but you are far more courageous than I am. You are in my thoughts and prayers continually dear lady.

Unknown said...

Rainey, its D'Ann from J. farms. I am so sorry....

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

You can do it!