Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I am thankful

For this new day,

for a decent night’s sleep considering,

for love and support at this time,

for sweet wonderful memories,

for God’s love,

for our little cottage and compound that we made into our haven

over the 39 years that we’ve lived here.

***

Last night before heading to bed

I opened my Bible and read this verse in Psalms.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep:

for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

****

Miss Tork sleeps with me now. She’s been very vocal the past few weeks and maybe it was because she knew something we didn’t. She was walking around meowing for now reason, I think she was letting us know she was here. Our routines definitely weren’t the same. She did get up on the bed a few times with DH they did a little more bonding.  A couple of times she would lay right beside his legs when I was massaging them. The past two nights she has gotten onto my chest/stomach area facing me and starts kneading and purring. Every once in a while she will stretch out her arm’paw and touch my neck, then she rubs her head into my chin. It is so comforting.

I just finished eating the other 1/2 of the ‘meatloaf melt’ sandwich I had with my friend Nanci yesterday. There are two more thick slabs of meatloaf for two more meals in the fridge. This place always gives gigantic portions of food. I’m now having my second cup of coffee.

The tree is lit. I’ve been up since 4, read emails, visited blogs, cried some more and then edited some photos for this post.

This first photo is of what will be my first and only quilt. It is for us. It is all being sewn by hand, as I hate using a sewing machine. Hand sewing is comforting to me.

As you can see, it has a paisley theme. We have loved paisleys since we were dating. I had these squares cut out for 2 years and procrastinated. But with DH being bedridden these past 3 months, I sat and worked on this as we talked, or he rested and I was quiet.

The paisley is an ancient symbol. I believe I found the following info on Wikipedia.

Some design scholars also call the distinctive shape Boteh and believe it is the convergence of a stylized floral spray and a cypress tree:

a Zoroastrian symbol of life and eternity.

The squares are all from skirts I could no longer fit into, except for the light two squares on the second row, which my friend Chris sent me when I told her about this project. The middle square on the third row is one of four squares cut out of the remaining one of a pair of matching shirts we had when we dated, long, long ago. The first two rows are sewn together, the third one I’ve just started on. I have crocheted embellishments to sew on, and will also do embroidery on this quilt. The idea was created with love, and the quilt will be a labor of love in every stitch. It won’t be perfect, but we weren’t perfect either. None of us are. Love covers a multitude of wrongs. We grow, learn and become stronger in love.

My DH was my mentor, my encourager, my very best friend. I can feel him encouraging me to work in my gardens, keep working on projects, keep creating. I am forever thankful for our life together, and it isn’t over yet. He is just on the other side of the veil, that I can’t see through. He is waiting, and I am too, earnestly for our reunion. It will be grand.

12-10-quilt-top

Here is another shot of the flowers from the garlic vine.

12-07-garlic-vine

Before I left for the hospital Sunday morning, I went out into the gardens to see what I could pick to take to DH. I found a few roses and tied them with some glittery thread. They are now pressed in my Bible.  Here is the little bouquet after I got back home. The two little hearts are something I want to make more of. Hearts and flowers are two of my favorite things.

12-last-bouquet

There was some thundering going on last night and we got some much needed rain. My gardens really needed some liquid sunshine, as they’ve been pretty much neglected these past few months. I was nurturing elsewhere, giving and receiving a love that is priceless.

Never take things for granted. Don’t think you have time. Do things now. Create loving memories, because you don’t know when it will be all you have left.

Love and hugs dear friends,

FlowerLady Lorraine

***

"To live a little, you've got to love a whole lot.

Love turns the ordinary into the extraordinary."

Author Unknown, from Life is for Living

24 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Take care
know you are in constant prayer
by many.
You are strong
and God loves you....
Sure cold by my woods
this early morning.

Antique ART Garden said...

I love paisleys too. I am so glad you have your kneading( needing) cat to help you through. love and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Your sweet Miss Tork instinctively knows you need to be comforted right now. Its her way of letting you know that you are not alone.

Your handy work is lovely and the hand sewn quilt will keep your hands and mind busy and then cover you with comfort.

My thoughts and prayers remain with you, Lorraine. Take care of yourself!

sweetbay said...

The quilt is beautiful!

I am glad you have Miss Tork there with you. Pets are such a comfort.

Unknown said...

Our fur babies are such a comfort,aren't they?

Balisha said...

What a wonderful project to work on throughout this winter. A quilt is something so comforting..I made one for my Mom, near the end of her life. She had it on the wall behind her bed. Later we put it on top of her bed, because she liked to touch it. It's hanging in my stairway. Everytime I go downstairs, I brush by it and can almost feel her there. This quilt will comfort you in the making and also when it is finished. I hope that you will share it with us as you work on it.
Take care now and know that we are all thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers.
Balisha

shadesofidaho said...

Oh Rainey, I am so very sorry. I always loved the relationship you and your DH had. Always curbing and then creating wonderful treasures from your finds. I am so stunned. I lost my best/longest friend of over 40 years a year ago tomorrow and still missing her so much. I do believe it is such a blessing neither of you knew of the cancer. As you say you were able to live life in hope. So sorry it was so painful for him. What a handsome man he was too.

The quilt is fantastic. I had forgotten sending you the paisley until you mentioned it. The two full sized quilts I made were all hand done. Then I machine stitched one and never finished it. Now my hands can not do that much hand stitching. I wish. Joints do not cooperate.:^( At least I can still do my glass.

So glad you have Tork. Our fur babies can be a comfort.

I so admire your strength.

Prayers and hugs for you.

Chris

Susan said...

I love the idea of your quilt and can't wait to see it when it's completed. I'm so glad that Tork is there for you and also your friend Nancy. Do take care and know that you are constantly in my thoughts dear lady.

jerilanders said...

Dear Rainy, please forgive me for not knowing about this, I have not been visiting blogs much, due to my schedule. My heart, my prayers,, my tears go out to you dear lady! What can anyone say when a loved one is lost, I just don't know. I do know how I would feel if I lost my husband. That day will come. But it is a comfort to know that as Christians, we will be reunited with our
sweethearts.Love to you, my friend.. I wish I could give you a tight hug right now. But I do, from across the miles.

Leslie Kimel said...

Your quilt is beautiful. So is your writing. Hugs from Tallahassee!

Nancy J said...

Miss Tork and your quilt,you can hold in your hands, while DH is in your heart, Stitching in quiet times will help with healing, and we are here for you all the time.The posy of flowers is beautiful,Fond greetings from Jean

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.
Now is the time to take care of yourself. I find Christmas lights so cheering, I'm glad you decided to decorate a tree. I got mine at a garage sale. It had a ton of lights on it, because when the original lights stopped working they didn't take them off but just put more on. It looked pretty bad until I fixed it up. Keep writing. Hugs.

Heather said...

Memories are the photographs our hearts take... keep them close to you always and your DH will never be far away... he will still be there to encourage and love you... always! Hugs.

Gayle said...

I am glad you are able to do things that bring you joy during this grieving time. The quilt is beautiful and will be full of loving memories.

Annie said...

Your beautiful cat, comforting you...they certainly have a sixth sense

Becky said...

They say animals know of things long before we do. They can sense so much more than people give them credit for that is for sure. Your quilt of love will be amazing when completed and I know you will cherish it always.

Lynn said...

Wishes granted. As I drifted off last night I was hoping your would have heart enough to pick up your needle and find solace in sleep. Imagine my delight in finding you had both with your paisley quilt, one of my favorite fabrics, and the comfort of Tork; who, as I recall, has an independent nature.

As yours is the blog I share with my husband we are both grieving with you and celebrating your memories. While he admires your flower garden, I am starry eyed over your permanent caravan.

Amrita said...

Sending you hugs Lorraine. I los t my mom this past Jan , I know what it is like.

My Sheeba is my shadow after Mom' s passing

I love you sister.

Angels are watching over you

Sandra said...

What a sweet cat you have, it's amazing how our animals will comfort us in time of need.

Love your quilt and can't wait to see it finished.

Wishing you another restful night, sweet friend.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

So interesting about Miss Tork. Seems animals are better at feeling a person's need than we are. So sweet that she is checking on you.
You're sounding very productive. The fabric patterns on your quilt look good together. Always like seeing favorite clothes repurposed. Obviously, the love you two shared is in there and going strong.
Take care of yourself. Enjoy the rain.
[hugs]

Mrs. E said...

I've been thinking of you. Animals always seem to know what we are going through, don't they. I have seen it myself. Know you are not alone-- you have blog world thinking of you and praying for you!

Maryann said...

The quilt is something that you will cherish always because of the memories it represents....it is lovely

Darcie said...

Thank you so much for the reminder of making memories...they are what live on, aren't they? Your quilt is going to be just beautiful!

Quiltedtime said...

This is beyond sweet.