Monday, December 17, 2012

Dracena frangrans, sunset, inspiration

Good morning Folks ~ I hope that today will be a day filled with hope and love for all of you, no matter where you are. We have a fresh week ahead of us, a new chapter with pages in our books to be written.

It is hard to believe that Christmas is so close already. I know a lot of you are enjoying all of the preparations and that is so much fun. The expectancy, baking, decorating, gifts, and family gatherings.

It is so warm down here that it doesn’t feel like Christmas at all. I did have a wonderful little get-away to a lovely wonderland of Christmas this morning via blogland and Jeri of Hopalong Hollow Gazette. Do go visit her, you will be inspired. I was by one of her photos, so did some tweaking under my tree.

The little boy baby DH picked up at a flea market many, many years ago when we had our antique shop. It was ‘supposed’ to be for sale, but ended up staying in my little collection. I’m not sure where the little bear came from but he’s a cutie. The hand made primitive doll I bought at a local flea market many, many years ago for $2.

12-17-christmas-tree

The little boy’s head is split from ear to ear, which you can’t see in the photo. I really need to make him some sort of hat. He has one hand missing and the other is being held on with string.

12-17-christmas-tree2

 

12-17-christmas-tree3

The above photos made me want to take a photo of some of my favorite teddy bears.

Here’s a photo of the TB’s sitting on the back of our little sofa.

From left to right they are:

Gift from DH many, many years ago. It’s a well-loved antique. He paid $1. Smile

The little sweetie with flowered hat is one I got in a teddy bear swap. It is a Boyd’s.

Another well-worn bear was DH’s second teddy. His first one fell apart.

The little black one was crocheted by me many years ago.

The next two are flea market or yard sale finds.

The one on the far right is one my DH bought me in Switzerland while we were on vacation there while we lived in Spain during his 4 year hitch in the US Navy. Maybe in 1972. These make me feel happy.

12-17-teddies

The other evening I went out for a little mood change and while out there I was overwhelmed by a scent. I had a feeling as to where it was coming from, looked and sure enough. The Dracena Fragrans. The scent of this was always too much for DH. A little of it goes a long way, but unfortunately there is hardly ever a little of it. It was almost too much for me this time. I came in for the camera and here are the photos. We have two clusters of these growing. One up front and one behind my shed by the enclosed clothesline garden area. These bloom at night.

12-16 dracena-fragrans3

12-16 dracena-fragrans

12-16 dracena-fragrans2

Here is the sunset as seen through the bedroom window last night. Excuse the power lines, but that is part of my view too.

12-16-sunset

Below is an excerpt I found this morning when searching quotes about sunsets.

The Meaning of the Sunset

by Charles E. Jefferson (1860-1937)

“Stand near to a sunset and what do you see? Examine It through the microscope of science and what have you? Vibrations, dust, aqueous vapour, air-currents. That is, all It seems as though these things might have been swept together by the wind, as though it all might be due to a fortuitous concourse of atoms, as though bits of matter might have fallen into a meaningless hodgepodge.

But wait! Stand back! Farther back! Now look at it! A picture! Outlines such as no artist ever sketched; cathedrals, minarets, spires, ancient castles, majestic palaces, towers, domes, more majestic than those of which any architect ever dreamed. And colours oh, what colours! Delicate tints, exquisite hues, artistic shadings, bewitching gradations, combinations of lights and shadows such as never entered into the heart of man to conceive.

Ah, this is none other than the work of God the work of the Infinite Artist

If Moses took off his sandals in the presence of a burning bush, well may we bow our heads and hearts in the presence of a sky all aflame with God!

**********

Wishing you all love, peace and joy filled holidays. Let God speak to you through His creation. Listen for His still small voice.

Love ~ FlowerLady

Click the link to read more about my life now on The Continuing Journey.

13 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

Great collection and I love that Dracena.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Lynn said...

So glad you tweeked your tree base. I love old toys. This is the perfect time for them to take front and center. May you continue to have a good week.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for allowing me to visit your world
Always so many flowers I am not familar with.
Your thoughts are special...

Antique ART Garden said...

Love the sweet teddy bears, and what makes each special is your remember where you got each one( and how much!).Amazing how your memory is so good! Big hug from SC, Gina

GRACE PETERSON said...

Beautiful post from a beautiful soul. How are you Lorraine? I can't believe I've missed so many of your posts. Where does the time go?

Your Dracena looks very interesting. I wish I could grow it. And those Teddy bears--too cute. The sweetie with the flowered hat reminds me of Paddington. I bet you embroidered the "Give Thanks" pillow behind them, didn't you? I LOVE the antique doll too. Oh, the stories it could tell. And his teddy is so sweet. It's been nearly loved to death.

How is the DH doing these days? I'm praying. Please drop a line when you can. Sending hugs.

sharon said...

yes the bears..love...I have one like the one on the left...I got it in Germany when I was a little girl..I have never seen dracena bloosoms.....when do they start to bloom? I just thought they were boring...haha

jerilanders said...

I am so glad you added the "little boy" and what a wonderful collection of teddies! (each one holding a memory) Aren't they just the perfect touch?! Just think, they were probably Christmas gifts for a lucky little one, long ago. Thinking of you this Christmas, my friend, and praying for your well-being and peace.

Anonymous said...

Oklahoma has beautiful sunsets. when our children were young, we lived in northern Indiana, not far from Chicago, IL, where Hubs worked. The skies were so polluted we never had beautiful sunsets and I missed them so.

I used to collect old dolls. I have a Howdy Doody in much the same condition as your boy. I like to think that shows how much they were loved and carried around by their owner.

Anonymous said...

I love the bears and although this is terribly childish to say, but dolls like that creep me out. I think I've seen one too many horror movies from the 80's. Any antique doll gives me the heeby-jeebies and I was a doll lover as a child. Go figure.

I love that you can recall the details in how you received these special gifts.

Thanks for sharing, FlowerLady,

Hugs,

eli

Annie said...

I'm off for a look at the tree link. Loved your teddies

sweetbay said...

I love your teddy bear collection. They are adorable!

Karen said...

Lorraine, love the teddy bears and how each one has a special remembrance for you. Sunsets are my most favorite part of each day, I am almost always outdoors at that time as we work until dark and beyond and we never fail to take a break and watch the majesty.

I'll never get over how many different flowers you have growing in your garden. So lovely.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lorraine, Love your collection of all of those sweet little bears.. How sweat... So many memories!!!!

Love that dolly also... I had a special doll while growing up --and her name was Lou Lou... She was so special. Don't know what ever happened to her!

Bet the Dracena is fragrant... Sometimes their smells are a little overwhelming--like you said.

Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy