Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hamelia paten ~ Firebush

Good morning Friends,

This bush is one of my favorite, easy to grow plants in our gardens here at Plum Cottage.  I got this as a little cutting about 17 years ago. It took awhile to get going, but once it hit it’s stride, it hasn’t stopped.  Around our area we see these as tightly clipped shrubs and hedges.  I don’t remember ever seeing one that grows like ours is.  Of course, I’m a procrastinator when it comes to pruning, but I love the way this has taken over my shed, along with roses and several flowering vines too.

Hamelia paten is a butterfly magnet all year long, and hummers visit too during the time of year that they are here.

I went out this morning with camera in hand to see what would catch my eye, and it was while taking a picture of the caravan garden area that I thought to make a post showing this wonderful bloomer. It comes up out of the hedge behind the ‘solar dryer’ and heads over to arbor, then over the lattice grotto area and over the shed east and south, and west too for that matter.

07-19-caravan-garden

Here are a couple of the main branches.

07-19-hamelia-paten5

Beside butterflies and hummers loving this, bees do to.

07-19-hamelia-paten6

This is a view from the east/driveway side.

07-19-hamelia-paten2

This is looking north and it’s now out to the front edge of my shed.

07-19-hamelia-paten3

This is inside the secret garden looking up and northeast.

07-19-hamelia-paten4

This is our state butterfly, the zebra longwing, which just LOVES the nectar of this shrub. Some days there are lots of zebies gently flitting around. They make me feel happy and relaxed and thankful to God the Great Creator.

07-19-hamelia-paten7

That’s it, I’ve got to get ready to head off to work today.

Don’t forget to count your many blessings.  We all have them even on bad days.

I read a great post this morning called * I always have enough *, click here, for the story.

FlowerLady Lorraine

7 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Lorraine, Beautiful plant --and it obviously loves being where it is... It is HUGE and has really spread out.... Gorgeous blooms. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Yours is HUGE! The hummers love mine..

denimflyz said...

Dear Friend,
Thank you for posting your beautiful photos. Your home makes me smile and ease my worries as it is a peaceful place. Thank you.
And yes, I am thankful for what I have, even though its not much, but I am thankful...thank you for reminding me.
Hugs

Susan said...

Good morning Flowerlady...Your firebush looks like a vine compared to mine. Unfortunately, mine freezes back each winter but it does bounce back and grow into a nice sized shrub. It is a great plant that really attracts the butterflies.

Mrs. Mac said...

I'm always amazed to see the different flora and fauna that grows in different parts of the world. You have such a GREAT variety. Thanks for sharing!

Gayle said...

I love the way your bushes/trees grow all over everything. Your garden is very comfortable and cozy. Mine is too "formal", but I can't really change it now. I'd enjoy relaxing in your space. :)

Rebecca said...

I always love posts that show "the bigger picture" of your little compound :)

Ahem! (Clearing my throat here as I catch sight of the caravan!) Is it finished yet????