Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Avocado Bread


My boss gave me several avocados and I found a great sounding bread recipe to use up some of them. The recipe makes up two loaves, we are eating one and the other is in the freezer. This is sort of like zucchini bread and is delicious! I used raisins and craisins.




The recipe is from AllRecipes.com

Avocado Quick Bread

Original Recipe Yield 2 - 9x5 inch loaves

Ingredients

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 7/8 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe avocado
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins
1 tablespoon grated orange zest

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the mashed avocado. Stir in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk until just mixed. Fold in the chopped pecans, raisins and orange zest. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow loaves to cool in pan for at least 20 minutes before removing.

******

Vegetables are a must on a diet.

I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.

Jim Davis

Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL

10 comments:

gld said...

Lucky you! They are so expensive here that I don't buy them often, over a $1 each. The bread sounds wonderful.

I keep hearing about freezes in southeast Florida. I sure hope they don't loose crops!

Have a great day.

Susan said...

That sounds yummy, FLowerlady. I'll be right over for a slice and a hot cup of tea. :-)

NanaK said...

Yummy. I love your quote from Jim Davis.

Becca's Dirt said...

Sounds yummy and great on a cold day with some margarine or just plain ole butter and warm cup of chocolate of coffee. What time shall I be there?

Ami said...

Yummy, that is something I want on this cold day! Stay warm, and best wishes to you and your family, AND your garden!

Sandy said...

I love avocados and buy two every week
and cut them up in salads. The recipe
sounds great. Thanks for sharing it
Blessings,
Sandy

Mama Mess said...

That really looks good! I love zucchini bread, but I think I'm allergic to avocados! I'll bet it's good though!

sweetbay said...

I like your quote for today! lol

shadesofidaho said...

"Vegetables are a must on a diet.
I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.

Jim Davis

LOL LOL LOL Even gave DH a chuckle.

I will take it. Going to test your bread recipe with a couple tweaks I might be able to have it on my diet. Sounds so yummy.

Chris

Terry said...

hello flower lady...thank you for your kind comment over at the sisterhood of the traveling scarf...the little girl that was in the little story i told wasn't saved until she was in her 20's but i am sure glad that she was!

flower lady mom golden has been recently put on a soft diet in which she is not allowed to eat bread...she was told to have puree bread and we just can't to find it in canada...would you have a recipe for it?
i would be so happy if you do and so would mom goldem!

have a blessed lords day...love terry