Thursday, November 4, 2010

Plum Cottage roses

Good day Folks ~ Hope you are having a good one wherever you are, whatever you are doing. It's is partly cloudy, warm and humid. We've had a little rain and more is expected, then a cold front will move in, with temps dropping to around 50 tomorrow night. That will be oh so nice.

Here are some rose pictures taken the last couple of mornings. I love roses and am happy to be able to grow some here in my gardens. I wish I could share their scents with you, but alas, they have not come up with a way to do that.


Click on pictures for a closer view.

Chrysler Imperial is the rose in the first three pictures. It's really a deep, dark, velvety red with a wonderful old rose scent.








Duchesse de Brabant


Golden Sun next 4 pictures.











La Marne





Maggie among her thorns.


Old Blush





Penelope





Here they are in a bouquet. I just turned the vase to see them from different angles.
















The perfume of roses

are like exquisite chords of music

composed of many odor notes

harmoniously blended.

N. F. Miller

****

I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.

Emma Goldman

****

This old world that we're livin' in

Is might hard to beat.

You get a thorn with every Rose

But - ain't the roses sweet?

Frank Stanton



Zone 10 ~ s.e. FL

5 comments:

aims said...

You have such beautiful flowers.

At one time I couldn't have cared less about roses. Now I don't understand how I could have felt that way! They are so beautiful - each and every one of them.

Your pics made me think that they would make lovely framed photos. All roses. Hmmmm - another idea huh?

Mama Mess said...

Just looking at your photos flooded my nose with the heady scent of roses! I love the picture of the yellow rose with the fern behind. So beautiful. I enjoy roses but have never had much luck with them. They always get eaten by japanese beetles, or taken by black spot. I do have a green miniature rose that does well so it has to do! :)

sweetbay said...

Your roses are so lovely, especially gathered together in a bouquet!

Shirley said...

A beautiful post today. I'd have to say Chrysler Imperial is my favourite of these. I am rather partial to red roses but love them all. Nice to have the verses to go with the photos too.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning ~ Hope you all have a good day today.

Aims ~ Thanks. Someone told me many years ago that I couldn't grow roses here, thankfully I didn't listen. Yes, there are roses that won't grow here, but there are plenty that will.
I have thought about different ideas with my flower photos, just haven't done anything with them yet. Procrastinator that I am. :-)

Goodwife ~ You just have to look for roses that will grow well in your area. I've heard the knockout series do well everywhere and reward the grower with lots and lots of blooms. I love how the little yellow rose came out with the fern too.

Sweetbay ~ Thank you, especially coming from another rose grower. You have some real beauties there.

Shirley ~ Thanks and glad you enjoyed the verses too. I have two true red roses, Chrysler Imperial and Don Juan, both are a deep, velvety looking red rose and their scent wonderful.

Thanks for visiting and your kind comments.

FlowerLady