Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mockingbirds

Good morning blogger friends,

It is another rainy day here in 'not' so sunny so FL. It's been a week of T-storms, and more is expected over the next three days. I am not complaining as it's been great after being in a drought for about 3-4 years now. Hopefully this is the end of that drought period.

My DH came across this little article in the IBD newspaper and I thought it would make a nice little post, since the Mockingbird is our state bird.

** Mockingbirds can identify people and quickly react to those who have threatened their nests before, Univ. of Fla. researchers found. Mockingbirds in a study alarmed and attacked people who repeatedly touched their nests, while ignoring others just passing by. The birds could identify people after seeing them just twice -- and could even recognize the cars driven by potential threats. **

As a boy DH rescued a Mockingbird baby from kids who had the little bird in a box and were throwing him around. He said he thought he gave them 50 cents for it. He took it home made a nice nest for him and fed him raw hamburger and bread soaked in milk. He named him Riley because he had the 'life of Riley'. When Riley got big enough to fly away he would go for short spurts and come back to DH's shoulder, until one time he didn't come back. He flew off into the great big world to join others like him, looking a place to call his own.

Mockingbirds are very territorial. We see them chasing much larger birds all the time. Their song is a medley of all sorts of sounds they have picked up along the way. Their tunes seem joyful to me, like they don't have a care in the world.

As I am writing this piece about Mockingbirds and it is pouring and thundering and lightening outside, there is a mourning dove sitting on the wires out front, he's been sitting there for quite some time, while it's pouring, etc. so he must not be concerned at all. His head is bobbing around here and there as he takes in the world around him.

I sure wouldn't want to be out in this and I'm glad it's cozy and dry inside our little cottage.

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend regardless of the weather.

FlowerLady








5 comments:

Jenny wren's nest said...

I love mockingbirds, I painted a postcard with acrylic paint.
We have one that visits but never nest very close to our home.
Jenny

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That's really interesting about mockingbirds. What a neat story about your husband rescuing and raising the baby bird.

sweetbay said...

Isn't it funny how long it took scientists to figure out that birds are really quite intelligent? (because their brains are configured so differently from ours)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning everyone ~ Hope you are having a lovely Sunday.

Jenny ~ I'd love to see your painting of a mockingbird. We've never seen a mockingbird nest.

Catherine ~ I thought it was a sweet story from DH's childhood.

SweetBay ~ Scientists seem to be 'slow' sometimes. They try to prove things scientifically instead of studying nature in their every day lives.

Just because critters don't speak our language doesn't mean they are not intelligent.

FlowerLady

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I don't know if we have mockingbirds. I wonder if other birds remember individuals, too. The birds around here have gotten so they'll either let me nearer and nearer, or they will come closer and closer to where I am in the yard. The robins almost pose when I have my camera out. They also make eye contact with me. What fun!